- AP story section
- Drought eases in many places DES MOINES -- As spring rains soaked the central United States and helped conquer the historic drought, a new problem has sprouted: The fields have turned to mud. The weekly drought monitor report, released Thursday by National Drought Mitigation Cen
- Fuel barges explode, causing large fire in Ala. MOBILE, Ala. (AP) -- A large fire that began with explosions aboard two fuel barges in Mobile, Ala., was rocked by a seventh explosion early today and fire officials said they planned to let the fire, which has injured three, burn overnight. Firefigh
Dems, GOP talk up deficit reduction, but don't act
Liberals' loud objections to White House proposals for slowing the growth of huge social programs make it clear that neither political party puts a high priority on reducing the deficit, despite much talk to the contrary.
- Report: Richest 7% got richer during recovery WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The richest Americans got richer during the first two years of the economic recovery while average net worth declined for the other 93 percent of U.S. households, says a report released Tuesday. The upper 7 percent of households o
Poll: Aging US in denial about long-term care need
We're in denial: Americans underestimate their chances of needing long-term care as they get older — and are taking few steps to get ready.
- Feds ask to interview wife of suspected bomber PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) -- Federal authorities have asked to speak with the wife of suspected Boston Marathon bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev, and her lawyer said Sunday he is discussing with them how to proceed. Amato DeLuca told The Associated Press that Ka
- Details sought on bombing suspect BOSTON (AP) -- The 19-year-old charged with the Boston Marathon bombing, his throat injured by a gunshot wound, wrote down answers to the questions of investigators about his motives and connections to any terror networks. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's answers
From outsiders to bombing suspects in Boston
Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev sought to embrace American lives after emigrating from Russia — joining a boxing club, winning a scholarship and even seeking U.S. citizenship. But their uncle last week angrily called them "losers" who failed to feel settled even after a decade of living in the United States.
- Boston marks week from bombing with silence BOSTON -- Seven days after the Boston Marathon bombings, the city planned to mark the traumatic week with mournful silence and a return to its bustling commute. Authorities on Friday made the unprecedented request that residents stay at home during t
Fallout for states rejecting Medicaid expansion
Rejecting the Medicaid expansion in the federal health care law could have unexpected consequences for states where Republican lawmakers remain steadfastly opposed to what they scorn as "Obamacare."
- More AP story section Headlines