By Katie Dahlstrom
Herald Staff Writer
Clinton attorney Mary Wolfe won her second term in the Iowa House over no-party candidate Carolyn Grimes.
“It’s a fabulous night,” Wolfe said. “I’m looking forward to getting back out there and working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle.”
Wolfe, 49, received 10,035 votes, accounting for 76 percent of the vote. Grimes, a 67-year-old administrative assistant, received 3,128 votes, accounting for the remaining 24 percent of House District 98.
Wolfe said she admired Grimes for taking a stand for what she believes and shared her views on many of the issues facing the residents of the district, which includes the city of Clinton and the eastern part of Clinton County.
“Carolyn was a very gracious opponent. If I hadn’t been running, I would have voted for her,” Wolfe said.
Grimes also said the was pleased with how amicably the race was run.
“I have no regrets,” Grimes said. “I think the fact that I was able to garner 24 percent of the vote shows that people want bipartisanship.”
Wolfe’s three key issues are the mental health redesign, the expansion of U.S. 30 and ensuring that property tax reform is handled in a fiscally responsible and bipartisan manner. Wolfe said as she heads into her second term, one of her first goals is to work on the regionalization of victim’s services the Iowa Attorney General’s Office has proposed.
“Now that the election is over, my hope is we can get a group of Democratic and Republican legislators together to talk and get a proposal together before we go back so we can get something done,” Wolfe said.