IOWA CITY —
May 27, 1948 - Oct. 6, 2012
Jimmy “JJ” Burkhart, 64, found peace Saturday, October 6, following a valiant fight with cancer.
Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday, October 11, 2012, at Lensing Funeral and Cremation Service, Iowa City, with the Rev. Mike Nelson officiating. Visitation will be Wednesday from 3 to 7 p.m. at the funeral home. Burial will be at Memory Gardens Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be directed to Iowa City Hospice.
Jimmy was born May 27, 1948, in Niles, Michigan, the son of Robert and Opal Kauffman Burkhart. He was a 1966 graduate of City High School. Following a 19-year engagement, he married Barb “Bubba” Lee on December 24, 1996, in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Jimmy spent his entire career in the Floor Covering business. He owned and operated Burkhart Flooring for many years and in 2007, he and Todd Zeman established Hawkeye Carpet and Vinyl.
Jimmy had a great sense of humor and sarcasm. He was down to earth and easy going, but liked order in his life. Most important was his love of family, friends and his dogs, Petey and Freddie Mae. He enjoyed his time at Plamor Lanes, Blackstone, golfing, gambling (especially his trips to Tunica), listening to the music of “Meatloaf” and watching the Iowa Hawkeyes. Throughout his illness Jimmy was a true warrior.
Survivors his beloved wife and friend, Barb “Bubba”; his three children and seven grandchildren, Todd (Carmen) Hesseltine of Cedar Rapids and their son, Jackson, Jennie (Mark) Evans of Iowa City and their children, Andrew, Maeghan, Colin and Owen, and Casey (Nicki) Hesseltine of Rochester, Iowa and their children Mitchell and Kylie; his sister, Sandi (Rick) Gustafson of Clinton and his brother, Steve (Adrie) Burkhart of San Jose; in laws, Steve (Sandy) Lee of Solon; nieces and nephews. Daniel (Jamee), Amanda, (Dan), Addie (Pepe), Jesse, Scott(Becky) and Jennifer; his former spouse, Ruth Hesseltine of Iowa City; and many special friends. He will be greatly missed by all.
Jimmy was preceded in death by his parents and his beloved dogs.
Online condolences may be sent to the family at www.lensingfuneral.com.
Death date: Oct. 6, 2012
IOWA CITY —
May 27, 1948 - Oct. 6, 2012
Barbara J. Determann
Barbara J. Determann, 52, passed away peacefully on Saturday, May 4, 2013 surrounded by family at Kaiser Permanente Hospital in San Francisco, CA.
- Durwin 'Dur' Kerry Wilhelm Durwin 'Dur' Kerry Wilhelm Sept. 5, 1953-May 14, 2013 PRESTON -- Durwin "Dur" Kerry Wilhelm, age 59, of Preston, Iowa, died on Tuesday, May 14, 2013, at home surrounded by his family. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, May 17, 2013, at
- Dwain Galloway Dwain Galloway June 30, 1942-May 14, 2013 GRAND MOUND -- Dwain Galloway, 70, of Grand Mound, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, May 14, 2013, at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City. The family will receive relatives and friends at Schultz Fu
- Garry L. Dithmart Clinton Garry L. Dithmart Garry L. Dithmart, 79, of Clinton, died Wednesday at his daughter's home in Clinton. Visitation will be from 3 to 6 p.m. Sunday at the Pape Funeral Home. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Monday at the funeral home. A complet
- Marcia L. Ortega MORRISON, Ill. — Marcia L. Ortega, 55, of Morrison, died Tuesday at her home. A memorial service will be held at 6 p.m. Friday at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home. There will be no visitation; the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renk
- Dr. Mary J. Pettersen HAMMOND, Ind. -- Dr. Mary J. Pettersen, age 84, of Hammond, died Saturday. A celebration of her life will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Interment will be in Mount Hope Cemetery, Maquoketa. There wa
- Sheryl Kay Cotter Sheryl Kay Cotter September 24, 1943-May 14, 2013 CLINTON -- Sheryl Kay Cotter, 69, of Clinton, Iowa, lost her battle with cancer on Tuesday, May 14, 2013, at Mercy Living Center North, Clinton, with her husband at her side. Her funeral services will
- Ruth (Doonan) Bulfinch Ruth (Doonan) Bulfinch March 10, 1921-April 24, 2013 MESA, Ariz., MORRISON, Ill. -- Ruth (Doonan) Bulfinch, 92, of Mesa and formerly of Morrison, died April 24, 2013, in Mesa. Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Saturday, May 18, 2013, at the Morrison U
- Harold Galloway Grand Mound Harold Galloway Harold Galloway, 70, of Grand Mound, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City. Arrangements are pending with Schultz Funeral Homes.
- Durwin 'Dur' K. Wilhelm Preston Durwin 'Dur' K. Wilhelm Durwin "Dur" K. Wilhelm, 59, of Preston, died Tuesday at home. Funeral arrangements are pending with Law-Jones Funeral Home, Preston.
- More Obituaries Headlines
- Barbara J. Determann