Cedar Rapids —
July 28, 1911-Oct. 11, 2012
CEDAR RAPIDS — Alvina Knutson, 101, of Cedar Rapids passed away on October 11, 2012 at St. Luke’s Hospital.
Services will be held on Tuesday at 11 a.m. at Cedar Memorial Funeral Park Funeral Home. Burial to follow at Cedar Memorial Park Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Monday at Cedar Memorial Westside Chapel.
Alvina is survived by her seven children: daughter, Peggy Shonka (Dan) of Cedar Rapids; and sons, Ted (Sharon), John (Virginia), both of Cedar Rapids, Tom (Peg) of Marion, Joe (Carla) of Cedar Rapids, Bob (Georgia) of Clinton, and Don of Fairfield, Ohio; 18 grandchildren and 25 great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Truman; five sisters, Pauline, Freda, Christine, Lydia, and Margaret; four brothers, Gus, Jake, John and David; and her parents.
Alvina was born on July 28, 1911, near Turtle Lake, North Dakota, to Margaret and David Schlichenmayer. She married Truman Knutson on September 3, 1939. He passed away on December 23, 1987. As a teenager and before getting married, Alvina worked as a maid and a nanny. She attended State Teachers College in Valley City, North Dakota, and taught school for two years in a one-room schoolhouse. She also worked for 15 years in the Jefferson High School cafeteria. Alvina was a member of the Ellis Park Church of God.
She will be fondly remembered as a great cook who wanted nothing more than to feed whoever came to her home. Even if you weren’t hungry, you quickly learned to graciously accept her offer of food or drink as she wouldn’t take no for an answer. Besides cooking, she enjoyed reading, doing puzzles, picnics, playing Kings in the Corner, being outdoors and most of all just being with her family. She always thought of others before herself and never had a bad word to say about anyone. She never complained, never uttered a cuss word, and will be greatly missed by all who knew and loved her. With the help of her children, she was able to remain in her own home of 51 years until the very end.
Please leave a message to Alvina’s family on the web page at www.cedarmemorial.com under obituaries.
Death date: Oct. 11, 2012
Cedar Rapids —
- Mildred Tripp CHADWICK, Ill. -- Mildred Tripp, 81, of Sterling, Ill., formerly of Chadwick, died Thursday at CGH Hospital in Sterling. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Hope United Methodist Church in Chadwick. Burial will be in the Chadwick Cem
- Deanna J. Wagoner Deanna J. Wagoner Oct. 13, 1943 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Deanna J. Wagoner, age 69, of Clinton, died Friday May 17, 2013 at Mercy North Medical Center. Cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held 7:00 p.m. Tuesday, May 21st, a
- Mary Jo Kinkaid Mary Jo Kinkaid July 26, 1940 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Mary Jo Kinkaid, 72, of Clinton, passed away, Friday, May 17, 2013 in the hospital due to complications from surgery. The family will greet friends Tuesday, May 21, 2013 from 3:00 to 5:30 p.m. a
- Kristin R. Phillips Kristin R. Phillips Aug. 29, 1957 - May 16, 2013 CLINTON -- Kristin R. Phillips, 55, of Clinton, IA, died Thursday, May 16, 2013, at her home. Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Monday, May 20, 2013 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral H
- Margaret 'Marge' Donnelly Margaret Donnelly May 4, 1929 - May 16, 2013 CLINTON -- Mrs. Margaret E. "Marge" Donnelly, 84, of Clinton, Iowa, formerly of DeWitt, Iowa, died Thursday morning, May 16, 2013 at Genesis Medical Center-East Campus, Davenport, Iowa. The family will rec
Barbara J. Determann
Barbara J. Determann, 52, passed away peacefully on Saturday, May 4, 2013 surrounded by family at Kaiser Permanente Hospital in San Francisco, CA.
- Durwin 'Dur' Kerry Wilhelm Durwin 'Dur' Kerry Wilhelm Sept. 5, 1953-May 14, 2013 PRESTON -- Durwin "Dur" Kerry Wilhelm, age 59, of Preston, Iowa, died on Tuesday, May 14, 2013, at home surrounded by his family. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, May 17, 2013, at
- Dwain Galloway Dwain Galloway June 30, 1942-May 14, 2013 GRAND MOUND -- Dwain Galloway, 70, of Grand Mound, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, May 14, 2013, at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City. The family will receive relatives and friends at Schultz Fu
- Garry L. Dithmart Clinton Garry L. Dithmart Garry L. Dithmart, 79, of Clinton, died Wednesday at his daughter's home in Clinton. Visitation will be from 3 to 6 p.m. Sunday at the Pape Funeral Home. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Monday at the funeral home. A complet
- Marcia L. Ortega MORRISON, Ill. — Marcia L. Ortega, 55, of Morrison, died Tuesday at her home. A memorial service will be held at 6 p.m. Friday at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home. There will be no visitation; the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renk
- More Obituaries Headlines