January 6, 1933 - September 25, 2012
Conrad Joseph Grundmeyer, age 79, of Sabula, Iowa, passed away peacefully on Tuesday, September 25, 2012, at Mercy Living Center North, Clinton, Iowa.
A funeral Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Monday, October 1, 2012, at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Preston, with Father Don Hertges as Celebrant. Burial will be held at 3:30 p.m. Monday in the St. Mary’s Catholic Cemetery, Manchester, Iowa. A visitation will be held from 3 to 6 p.m. Sunday, September 30, 2012, at the Miller-Law-Jones Funeral Home, Preston, Iowa, with a Scripture wake service held at 6:15 p.m. A memorial fund has been established in Conrad’s memory. Online condolences and tributes may be shared with the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Conrad was born on January 6, 1933, the son of Anton and Dorothy (Kurtenbach) Grundmeyer in Raeville, Nebraska. He graduated from Dundee High School with the class of 1951. Conrad proudly served his country in the United States Army during the Korean War. Conrad was united in marriage to Mary Patricia Thurm on June 12, 1957, in Manchester, Iowa. Mary passed away on December 23, 2011, in Clinton, Iowa.
Conrad began his career with the United States Postal Service in May of 1957 as a mail carrier in Manchester. He carried mail in Manchester until January of 1974 when he was transferred to Sabula, Iowa. Conrad started as a mail carrier and was quickly promoted to the Postmaster of Sabula in June of 1974. He served as Postmaster until retiring in October of 1992. Upon retiring, Conrad drove a school bus for East Central Schools and did “Handy Work” for several people in Sabula. He enjoyed western movies, baseball and loved the outdoors, especially trapping and fishing. Conrad even learned to downhill ski in Colorado at the age of 52. Conrad was a member of the Isaac Walton League and of the former St. Peter Catholic Church, Sabula. Conrad currently attended mass at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Preston.
Conrad will be dearly missed by his daughter, Cindy Watkins of DeWitt, Iowa; two sons, Tom Grundmeyer of Littleton, Colorado, and Curt Grundmeyer of Sabula; one granddaughter, Kyle Keiran of DeWitt; three sisters, Rita Thole of Oelwein, Iowa, Dorothy Digmann of Dyersville, Iowa, and Mary Ann (David) Puff of Dubuque, Iowa; four brothers, Willis (Berniece) Grundmeyer of Lamont, Iowa, Val (JG) Grundmeyer of Chula Vista, California, Tony (Nancy) Grundmeyer of Waterloo, Iowa and Jim (Janice) Grundmeyer of Masonville, Iowa.
Conrad was preceded in death by his parents and his loving wife, Pat.
Death date: Sept. 25, 2012
January 6, 1933 - September 25, 2012
- Joan E. Turney Joan E. Turney Nov. 19, 1927 - May 19, 2013 MAQUOKETA -- Joan E. Turney, 85, of Maquoketa, Iowa, passed away at her home on Sunday, May 19, 2013, after a long battle with cancer. A celebration of Joan's life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, May 2
- JoAnn J. Bruhn WESTLAKE, Ohio -- JoAnn J. Bruhn (nee Birt), age 78, formerly of Clinton, beloved wife of Leonard, died. Dear mother of Alex (Julie) Bruhn and the late Kristine Bruhn (Brahim) Loving grandmother of Zachary, Noah, Dylan and Ian. Sister of Ronald Birt.
- Vernon Shimanek Maquoketa Vernon Shimanek Vernon Shimanek, 57, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Anne Petersen
- JoAnn Lichamer
- JoAnn J. Bruhn
- Donald D. Fair
- Mildred Tripp CHADWICK, Ill. -- Mildred Tripp, 81, of Sterling, Ill., formerly of Chadwick, died Thursday at CGH Hospital in Sterling. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Hope United Methodist Church in Chadwick. Burial will be in the Chadwick Cem
- Deanna J. Wagoner Deanna J. Wagoner Oct. 13, 1943 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Deanna J. Wagoner, age 69, of Clinton, died Friday May 17, 2013 at Mercy North Medical Center. Cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held 7:00 p.m. Tuesday, May 21st, a
- Mary Jo Kinkaid Mary Jo Kinkaid July 26, 1940 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Mary Jo Kinkaid, 72, of Clinton, passed away, Friday, May 17, 2013 in the hospital due to complications from surgery. The family will greet friends Tuesday, May 21, 2013 from 3:00 to 5:30 p.m. a
- More Obituaries Headlines