June 8, 1928 - Jan. 31, 2013
L. Dorothy “Corky” Smith, 84, of Newton, died on Thursday, January 31, 2013, at Park Centre Health Center in Newton.
A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday, February 6, at First Lutheran Church in Newton. The family will greet friends from 4 to 6 p.m. Tuesday, February 5, at the Wallace Family Funeral Home. Memorials to the Fragile X Foundation or the First Lutheran Church may be left at the church the morning of the service or the funeral home.
Dorothy, the daughter of Richard and Lillian (Richmond) Jackson, was born on June 8, 1928, in Clinton, Iowa. She grew up in Clinton until moving to Delmar, Iowa, where she graduated from high school. Dorothy was united in marriage with H. Jack Smith on June 28, 1947, in Clinton. They made their home in Clinton before moving to Newton in 1964. Dorothy worked as a dental assistant in Clinton for several years and then was a bank teller at Jasper County Savings Bank in Newton. She was a member of the Newcomers Club and the First Lutheran Church where she was involved with many circles. Dorothy was also a Hospice volunteer. She enjoyed traveling and coin collecting.
Those left to honor Dorothy’s memory are her two sons, D. Mark (Pam) Smith of Graham, North Carolina, and Cory C. Smith of Rocklin, California; daughter, Sandra L. (Raymond) Brooks of Pekin, Illinois; her 8 grandchildren; 3 great-grandchildren; and sister, Darlene Castle of Glendale Heights, Illinois.
She was preceded in death by her parents; husband, H. Jack Smith in 2002; son, Todd R. Smith in 1995; and a sister, Shirley Heinrichs.
Death date: Jan. 31, 2013
June 8, 1928 - Jan. 31, 2013
- Joan E. Turney Joan E. Turney Nov. 19, 1927 - May 19, 2013 MAQUOKETA -- Joan E. Turney, 85, of Maquoketa, Iowa, passed away at her home on Sunday, May 19, 2013, after a long battle with cancer. A celebration of Joan's life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, May 2
- JoAnn J. Bruhn WESTLAKE, Ohio -- JoAnn J. Bruhn (nee Birt), age 78, formerly of Clinton, beloved wife of Leonard, died. Dear mother of Alex (Julie) Bruhn and the late Kristine Bruhn (Brahim) Loving grandmother of Zachary, Noah, Dylan and Ian. Sister of Ronald Birt.
- Vernon Shimanek Maquoketa Vernon Shimanek Vernon Shimanek, 57, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Anne Petersen
- JoAnn Lichamer
- JoAnn J. Bruhn
- Donald D. Fair
- Mildred Tripp CHADWICK, Ill. -- Mildred Tripp, 81, of Sterling, Ill., formerly of Chadwick, died Thursday at CGH Hospital in Sterling. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Hope United Methodist Church in Chadwick. Burial will be in the Chadwick Cem
- Deanna J. Wagoner Deanna J. Wagoner Oct. 13, 1943 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Deanna J. Wagoner, age 69, of Clinton, died Friday May 17, 2013 at Mercy North Medical Center. Cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held 7:00 p.m. Tuesday, May 21st, a
- Mary Jo Kinkaid Mary Jo Kinkaid July 26, 1940 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Mary Jo Kinkaid, 72, of Clinton, passed away, Friday, May 17, 2013 in the hospital due to complications from surgery. The family will greet friends Tuesday, May 21, 2013 from 3:00 to 5:30 p.m. a
- More Obituaries Headlines