Oct. 5, 1937 - Feb. 4, 2013
Marianne (Mrs. Leon) McGarry, 75, of DeWitt, Iowa, died suddenly Monday evening, February 4, 2013, at Genesis Medical Center, DeWitt.
The family will greet relatives and friends from 3 until 7 p.m. Thursday, February 7, 2013, at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, DeWitt, with a rosary at 2:30 p.m. and vigil at 7 p.m. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10:30 a.m. Friday, February 8, 2013, in the church. The Reverend Father Paul Connolly will officiate. Burial will follow at Saint Patrick’s Cemetery, Villa Nova, Iowa.
Marianne Elizabeth Wolfe was born on October 5, 1937, to John J. and Ida (Burke) Wolfe in Davenport, Iowa. She graduated from Lost Nation High School in 1955. In 1957, she graduated from Mount St. Clare, Clinton, with an associate’s degree in education. Marianne taught kindergarten in the DeWitt Community School District from 1957 to 1959. Marianne was united in marriage to Leon McGarry on September 12, 1959, at Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Lost Nation. Marianne and Leon raised 8 children on the farm northeast of DeWitt. She went on to graduate from Marycrest College in 1982 with a bachelor’s degree in education. She later taught kindergarten for 12 years in the Clinton Catholic School System and retired in 1996.
Marianne was an active member of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, DeWitt. She spent much of her retirement volunteering at St. Joseph’s School and Parish, Mercy Hospital and Westwing Place in DeWitt. Marianne enjoyed attending Bible Study and activities at the DeWitt Fitness Center. She treasured her time with family, especially her grandchildren.
Those left to honor her memory include her loving husband of 53 years, Leon; children, Maureen McGarry (Roger Kinkor) of West Des Moines, Ann Marie (Greg) Decker of Kansas City, Missouri, Sheila (Joel) Dentlinger of Arcadia, Iowa, Lisa (Steve) Ash of West Des Moines, Leo (Jennifer) McGarry of DeWitt, Erin (Scott) Hardison of Davenport, and daughter-in-law, Wendy McGarry of Davenport; 20 grandchildren, and 2 great-grandchildren; a brother, John J. (Pierette) Wolfe of Clinton; and many loving nieces, nephews, cousins and friends.
Marianne was preceded in death by her parents; an infant son, Leon Joseph; daughter, Coleen; and son, John “Jack.”
Those wishing to express their sympathy through a memorial may direct their gift to St. Joseph’s Catholic School, DeWitt.
Condolences may be expressed and a photo tribute viewed at www.schultzfuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Feb. 4, 2013
Oct. 5, 1937 - Feb. 4, 2013
- Robert D. Dykema Robert D. Dykema Aug. 25, 1932 - June 14, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Robert D. Dykema, 80, of Fulton, died Friday, June 14, 2013, at his home. Memorial service will be at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, June 19, 2013, at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral
- Julie Ann Hutchins Merced, Calif. Julie Ann (Dieckmann) Hutchins Julie Ann (Dieckmann) Hutchins, 47, of Merced, Calif. and formerly of Calamus, died Sunday at Hy-Lond Health Care Center in Merced. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Vincent 'Vince' Vesely SAVANNA, Ill. -- Vincent "Vince" Vesely, 78, of Hanover, Ill., died Sunday at home. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday at the Law-Jones Funeral Home in Hanover. Visitation will be held prior to the service at the funeral home from noo
- Mary K. Jones Mary K. Jones June 26, 1927 - June 15, 2013 CLINTON -- Mary K. Jones, age 85, of Clinton, passed away Saturday, June 15, 2013 at the Alverno Health Care Facility. Funeral services will be held 11:00 a.m. Tuesday, June 18, 2013 at the Pape Funeral Hom
- Robert D. Dykema Fulton, Ill. Robert D. Dykema Robert D. Dykema, 80, of Fulton, died Friday, at home. Arrangements are pending at the Fulton chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Mae E. Schmidt Mae E. Schmidt Sept. 4, 1922 - June 13, 2013 NORMAL, Ill. -- Mae E. Schmidt, 90, a resident of Normal, IL, formerly a longtime resident of Davenport, died Thursday, June 13, 2013 at Heritage Manor, Normal. Funeral services and a Mass of Christian Bu
- Ronald L. Carr Ronald L. Carr Feb. 17, 1939 - May 17, 2013 CARMEL, Maine -- Ronald L. Carr, age 74, of Carmel, Maine passed away Friday, May 17th, 2013. He was born Feb. 17th,1939, in Sandwich, IL. Ron is survived by his wife of 54 years, Dixie; sons, Jeffrey of Wi
- Kevin J. Ehredt Kevin J. Ehredt Jan. 14, 1961 - June 14, 2013 CLINTON -- Kevin J. Ehredt, 51, of Clinton, died Friday, June 14, 2013 surrounded by his family at his home. Funeral services will be 4:00 p.m., Monday, June 17, 2013 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Fu
- Theodore 'Ted' Venhuizen MORRISON, Ill. -- Theodore "Ted" Venhuizen, 90, of Morrison, died Wednesday, at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home, with Ken Renkes, director of
- Bradley Giddins Camanche Bradley Giddins Bradley Giddins, 52, of Camanche, died Thursday at Select Specialty Hospital in Davenport. Arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Homes in Clinton.
- More Obituaries Headlines