IOWA CITY —
April 23, 1924 - Feb. 8, 2013
Ernest K. Raab, 88, of Iowa City, Iowa, formerly of Clinton, died Friday, February 8, 2013, at Mercy Hospital, Iowa City, Iowa.
Funeral services will be 2 p.m. Wednesday, February 13, 2013, at Zion Lutheran Church with Pastor Joshua Martyn officiating. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Cemetery with military honors being conducted by Clinton AMVETS Post 28. Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, February 12, 2013, at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory. Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
Ernest Karl Raab was born on April 23, 1924, in Maquoketa, Iowa, the son of Ernest A. and Adele (Stenzel) Raab. He was a graduate of Maquoketa High School.
He was a decorated veteran of World War II, serving with the United States Army in Europe with the 1st Division and landing on Omaha Beach on D-Day. He married Dorothy Saville on October 21, 1950.
Ernest was employed with Fulton Press in Fulton, Ill., for 26 years retiring in 1989. Previously he was employed at Allen Printing and the Sabula Gazette.
He was a member of Zion Lutheran Church in Clinton. He and Dorothy moved to Iowa City in 2005. Ernest was an avid painter working with both oils and water colors. He was a long-suffering Cubs fan and enjoyed fishing, reading, spending time with his family, especially his grandchildren.
He is survived by his wife, Dorothy, of Iowa City, two sons, John (Peg) Raab of Iowa City, Michael Raab (fiancee, Sheri Anderson) of Boone, Iowa; one daughter, Jane (David) Downing of Lake Orion, Michigan; four grandchildren: Adam (Jolene) Raab of Iowa City, Julie (Bryan) Artman of Houston, Texas, Rebecca Raab of Chicago and Kevin Raab of Denton, Texas; and one great-granddaughter, Gwendolyn of Iowa City.
He was preceded in death by his parents and one sister, Wilma.
Memorials can be made to Zion Lutheran Church of Clinton and Gloria Dei Lutheran Church of Iowa City.
Ernie will be greatly missed by his family and friends.
Death date: Feb. 8, 2013
IOWA CITY —
April 23, 1924 - Feb. 8, 2013
- Marcella G. Johnson MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. -- Marcella G. Johnson, 80, of Mount Carroll, died Sunday, at her home. Memorial Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Saints John and Catherine Catholic Church in Mount Carroll, with the Rev. Father Dennis Atto, pastor o
- Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck July 12, 1918 - June 13, 2013 IOWA CITY -- Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck, 94, died June 13, 2013, at his granddaughter's home in Iowa City. He was born July 12, 1918, at his family home near Lost Nation, Iowa, to Edwin and Viola Rutenb
- Julie Ann Hutchins MERCED, Calif. -- Julie Ann Hutchins, 47, died Sunday at Hy-Lond Health Care Center in Merced after a brief illness. The family will receive relatives and friends at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. Funeral services will be hel
- Allan D. Rickertsen Clinton Allan D. Rickertsen Allan D. Rickertsen, 69, of Clinton, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center North. Arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Mildred L. Clapp Mildred L. Clapp March 22, 1920 - June 15, 2013 CLINTON -- Mildred L. Clapp, 93, of Clinton, and formerly of Toronto and Oxford Junction, died on Saturday morning at Bickford Cottage in Clinton, Iowa. Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, June
- Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich Dec. 27, 1932 - June 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich, 80, of Clinton, passed away, Monday, June 17, 2013 surrounded by his family at Select Specialty Hospital in Davenport. Private Family Services will be W
- William Joseph Pokorny William Joseph Pokorny March 25, 1952 - June 15, 2013 BRYANT --William Joseph Pokorny, 61, of Bryant, Iowa passed away peacefully at his home on June 15th, 2013. Honoring his wishes, cremation rights have been accorded with a private celebration of h
Dean Brian Dahlin
LeClaire Dean Brian Dahlin Dean Brian Dahlin, 55, of LeClaire, died Sunday at his home. Services are pending at Weerts Funeral Home, Davenport.
- Robert D. Dykema Robert D. Dykema Aug. 25, 1932 - June 14, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Robert D. Dykema, 80, of Fulton, died Friday, June 14, 2013, at his home. Memorial service will be at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, June 19, 2013, at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral
- Julie Ann Hutchins Merced, Calif. Julie Ann (Dieckmann) Hutchins Julie Ann (Dieckmann) Hutchins, 47, of Merced, Calif. and formerly of Calamus, died Sunday at Hy-Lond Health Care Center in Merced. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- More Obituaries Headlines