October 16, 1918 - November 11, 2012
Bonnie Ruth Milligan, age 94 passed away Sunday, November 11, 2012 at Skaalen Retirement Home.
Bonnie was born in Dunkirk Township on October 16, 1918, the daughter of the late Martin and Leda (Burull) Sperle. Bonnie and her sister, Elsie, lived on the farm her grandparents, Norwegian immigrants, settled. That farm was lost in the Great Depression, but the family continued to farm. Bonnie graduated from Stoughton High School in 1936. Bonnie attended the University of Wisconsin, Madison, where she met Robert Edgar Milligan, who was a law student. Bonnie and Robert married in Stoughton on June 13, 1942, in a double wedding ceremony shared with her sister Elsie and Elsie’s husband Everet. Bonnie left the university during WW II to follow her husband, now a naval officer, from coast to coast.
Bonnie ad Robert lived in Madison and Milwaukee after the war. They settled in Clinton, Iowa, where they raised three children. Bonnie’s many activities included thousands of rounds of golf, numerous league wins (the last at age 83) and two holes-in-one (the last when she was 77 years old). She loved Sanibel Island, Florida and vacationed there for over 30 years. Bonnie was proud of her Norwegian heritage. She toured Norway and met her “Norski” cousins. Bonnie was a member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority and a 50+ year member of P.E.O.
Bonnie is survived by her daughters Cmdr. Martha Milligan, ret. (husband Capt. Albert Johnson, ret.) of Virginia Beach, VA., Christine Milligan-Ciha (husband Allan Ciha) of Clive, IA and Stoughton, WI. and son John Milligan (wife Debi) of Washington, D.C., nephew Patrick Wall (Amy), nieces Lisa Livingston, Mary Susan Cable (John), Tess Nechkash (Jerry), Sheila Pokriefke (John), and many great nieces and nephews and cousins. Bonnie was preceded in death by her parents, her husband, her sister, and niece Francesca.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. on Friday, November 16, 2012 at Cress Funeral Home, 206 W. Prospect Ave, Stoughton, with the Rev. Dick Halom officiating. Friends may greet the family from 10 a.m. until the time of service. Burial will follow in Riverside Cemetery. Memorials may be sent to the Stoughton Historical Society.
Please share your memories at www.cressfuneralservice.com Cress Funeral & Cremation Service 206 W. Prospect Stoughton (608) 873-9244
October 16, 1918 - November 11, 2012
- Gary S. Trodick
- Dean Brian Dahlin
- Robert D. Stone
- Bradley H. Giddings
- Marcella G. Johnson MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. -- Marcella G. Johnson, 80, of Mount Carroll, died Sunday, at her home. Memorial Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Saints John and Catherine Catholic Church in Mount Carroll, with the Rev. Father Dennis Atto, pastor o
- Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck July 12, 1918 - June 13, 2013 IOWA CITY -- Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck, 94, died June 13, 2013, at his granddaughter's home in Iowa City. He was born July 12, 1918, at his family home near Lost Nation, Iowa, to Edwin and Viola Rutenb
- Julie Ann Hutchins MERCED, Calif. -- Julie Ann Hutchins, 47, died Sunday at Hy-Lond Health Care Center in Merced after a brief illness. The family will receive relatives and friends at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. Funeral services will be hel
- Allan D. Rickertsen Clinton Allan D. Rickertsen Allan D. Rickertsen, 69, of Clinton, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center North. Arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Mildred L. Clapp Mildred L. Clapp March 22, 1920 - June 15, 2013 CLINTON -- Mildred L. Clapp, 93, of Clinton, and formerly of Toronto and Oxford Junction, died on Saturday morning at Bickford Cottage in Clinton, Iowa. Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, June
- Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich Dec. 27, 1932 - June 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich, 80, of Clinton, passed away, Monday, June 17, 2013 surrounded by his family at Select Specialty Hospital in Davenport. Private Family Services will be W
- More Obituaries Headlines