May 13, 1925 - Jan. 9, 2013
Allen E. Chekal, 87, of Clinton, died Wednesday, January 9, 2013, at Genesis Medical Center, East Campus, Davenport, Iowa.
Funeral services will be 10 a.m. Saturday, January 12, 2013, at Prince of Peace Catholic Church. Burial will be in the Springdale Cemetery with military honors being conducted by the Clinton AMVETS Post 28. Serving as pallbearers will be Gary Bengtson, Gordy Bell, Gary Verdon, Randy Meier, John Chekal and Michael Chekal. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. until the service time Saturday at the church. The Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory is assisting the family. Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
Allen Edward Chekal was born on May 13, 1925, in Clinton, Iowa, the son of John and Agnes (Musel) Chekal the youngest of 8 children. He was a 1943 graduate of St. Mary’s High School. He was an all-around athlete and played baseball at St. Mary’s. He left high school a week before graduation by standing up in class and stating that he was enlisting in the United States Navy. He served during World War II stationed in the South Pacific on the Amedee Island off the coast of New Caledonia. He was also stationed in the Philippines where he guarded prisoners of war. After being discharged, he married Betty Weinbeck on August 9, 1946.
Allen was a foreman in the feed house at Clinton Corn from 1946-1970. He was also employed at Ralston Purina until retiring in 1990.
Allen was a lifelong Catholic and was an avid hunter and fisherman. He had a duck blind on Beaver Island for over 50 years. He enjoyed all sports especially baseball playing in the Industrial leagues. In his later years he entertained his family with his countless stories of the South Pacific and South Clinton.
Allen is survived by his loving wife of 66 years, Betty of Clinton; four daughters: Barbara (Gary) Bengtson of Naperville, Illinois, Alison (Gordy) Bell of Waterloo, Iowa, Marcia (Gary Verdon) Chekal of Hinsdale, Illinois, and Christine (Randy) Meier of Clinton; two sons, John (Eileen) Chekal of Omaha, Nebraska, and Michael (Renee) Chekal of Glenwood, Iowa; 13 grandchildren: Matthew, Angie, Christin, Missy, Hannah, Madeline, Ellen, Katie, Jessica, Jacob, Laura, Christopher and Alex; 5 great-grandchildren: Alison, Sarah, Lauren, Connor and Cecilia.
Allen was preceded in death by his parents, three sisters and four brothers.
Memorials can be made to the Clinton AMVETS or a favorite charity.
Death date: Jan. 9, 2013
May 13, 1925 - Jan. 9, 2013
- Mildred Tripp CHADWICK, Ill. -- Mildred Tripp, 81, of Sterling, Ill., formerly of Chadwick, died Thursday at CGH Hospital in Sterling. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Hope United Methodist Church in Chadwick. Burial will be in the Chadwick Cem
- Deanna J. Wagoner Deanna J. Wagoner Oct. 13, 1943 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Deanna J. Wagoner, age 69, of Clinton, died Friday May 17, 2013 at Mercy North Medical Center. Cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held 7:00 p.m. Tuesday, May 21st, a
- Mary Jo Kinkaid Mary Jo Kinkaid July 26, 1940 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Mary Jo Kinkaid, 72, of Clinton, passed away, Friday, May 17, 2013 in the hospital due to complications from surgery. The family will greet friends Tuesday, May 21, 2013 from 3:00 to 5:30 p.m. a
- Kristin R. Phillips Kristin R. Phillips Aug. 29, 1957 - May 16, 2013 CLINTON -- Kristin R. Phillips, 55, of Clinton, IA, died Thursday, May 16, 2013, at her home. Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Monday, May 20, 2013 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral H
- Margaret 'Marge' Donnelly Margaret Donnelly May 4, 1929 - May 16, 2013 CLINTON -- Mrs. Margaret E. "Marge" Donnelly, 84, of Clinton, Iowa, formerly of DeWitt, Iowa, died Thursday morning, May 16, 2013 at Genesis Medical Center-East Campus, Davenport, Iowa. The family will rec
Barbara J. Determann
Barbara J. Determann, 52, passed away peacefully on Saturday, May 4, 2013 surrounded by family at Kaiser Permanente Hospital in San Francisco, CA.
- Durwin 'Dur' Kerry Wilhelm Durwin 'Dur' Kerry Wilhelm Sept. 5, 1953-May 14, 2013 PRESTON -- Durwin "Dur" Kerry Wilhelm, age 59, of Preston, Iowa, died on Tuesday, May 14, 2013, at home surrounded by his family. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, May 17, 2013, at
- Dwain Galloway Dwain Galloway June 30, 1942-May 14, 2013 GRAND MOUND -- Dwain Galloway, 70, of Grand Mound, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, May 14, 2013, at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City. The family will receive relatives and friends at Schultz Fu
- Garry L. Dithmart Clinton Garry L. Dithmart Garry L. Dithmart, 79, of Clinton, died Wednesday at his daughter's home in Clinton. Visitation will be from 3 to 6 p.m. Sunday at the Pape Funeral Home. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Monday at the funeral home. A complet
- Marcia L. Ortega MORRISON, Ill. — Marcia L. Ortega, 55, of Morrison, died Tuesday at her home. A memorial service will be held at 6 p.m. Friday at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home. There will be no visitation; the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renk
- More Obituaries Headlines