LE MARS —
Oct. 25, 1922 - Feb. 8, 2013
Henry Edenfield Jr., 90, of Le Mars, Iowa, formerly of Clinton, Iowa, passed away Friday, February 8, 2013, at the Good Samaritan Society in Le Mars, Iowa.
Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Saturday, February 16, 2013, at St. John’s Lutheran Church, E.L.C.A. in Le Mars. Reverend Gary Landsness will officiate. Burial, with military rites, will be at a later date in Memorial Cemetery in Le Mars. Visitation with the family present will be after 4 p.m. Friday, February 15, 2013, with a Masonic service at 7 p.m., all at Carlsen Funeral Home in Le Mars. Visitation will resume one hour prior to the service on Saturday at the church. Expressions of sympathy can be extended to the family through www.carlsenfuneralhome.com.
Henry Otice Edenfield Jr. was born October 25, 1922, in Register, GA, the son of Henry and Mary “Mamie” (Lindsey) Edenfield. Henry grew up traveling with his father moving throughout the country helping build production factories for Dupont. During this time, Henry attended 43 different schools while gaining his education.
Following his schooling, he entered the United States Army in September of 1940. He served his country during the WWII era. During this time, he was united in marriage to Eleanor Norton on September 19, 1942, in Colorado Springs, CO. Following his medical discharge in May of 1943, they moved to Georgia. Henry worked for Southeastern Storage and Demerge for 3 years. They then moved to California, he worked for a company that repaired tools for the airline industry. In 1947, they moved to the Clinton, Iowa area. Henry went to work for Dupont, working in the cellophane plant near Clinton. In 1982, he retired after 35 years of service. They continued to live in Clinton until 1999 when they moved to Le Mars to be near their daughter, Carol.
While living in the Clinton area, he was a member of the Elvira Lutheran Church, having served on the church council and taught Sunday school and confirmation classes. He was active in the Junior Achievement program in Clinton. He was a member of the American Legion in Miles, IA for over 34 years. He was also active in the Masonic lodge, Scottish rites, and the Shrine. He was a “hospital dad” for the Shrine, taking children to Shrine hospitals. One of his greatest past times was woodworking, building furniture and toys. He enjoyed listening to jazz music, playing cards, and to go rock hunting. Later in life, he enjoyed doing genealogy and keeping in touch with his many friends through email. Through the years, he and Eleanor enjoyed traveling and taking road trips throughout the United States. He will be greatly missed.
Survivors include his wife of over 70 years, Eleanor, of Le Mars; his daughter, Carol (Ted) Hallberg of Le Mars and their daughter, Kajsa; a son-in-law, Chuck Mallory of Clinton, IA; a sister-in-law, Jan Norton of Fulton, IL, and her daughters, Suzanne Cruse and Katrina Norton and her children, Brennin and Conner; his cousins: Sally King Bloom of Seattle, WA, and her children, Lindsey Klecan (Matthew Slaughter) of New Hampshire and their children, Nicholas and Jacob, and Leslie Klecan (Fred Thieme) of Oregon and their children, Grace and Helen, and Marlys (Gerald) Smith of DeWitt, IA.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his daughter, Faith Mallory; a sister, Mary Edenfield; a brother-in-law, Glenn Norton; and a cousin, James Harley.
Death date: Feb. 8, 2013
LE MARS —
Oct. 25, 1922 - Feb. 8, 2013
- Marcella G. Johnson MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. -- Marcella G. Johnson, 80, of Mount Carroll, died Sunday, at her home. Memorial Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Saints John and Catherine Catholic Church in Mount Carroll, with the Rev. Father Dennis Atto, pastor o
- Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck July 12, 1918 - June 13, 2013 IOWA CITY -- Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck, 94, died June 13, 2013, at his granddaughter's home in Iowa City. He was born July 12, 1918, at his family home near Lost Nation, Iowa, to Edwin and Viola Rutenb
- Julie Ann Hutchins MERCED, Calif. -- Julie Ann Hutchins, 47, died Sunday at Hy-Lond Health Care Center in Merced after a brief illness. The family will receive relatives and friends at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. Funeral services will be hel
- Allan D. Rickertsen Clinton Allan D. Rickertsen Allan D. Rickertsen, 69, of Clinton, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center North. Arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Mildred L. Clapp Mildred L. Clapp March 22, 1920 - June 15, 2013 CLINTON -- Mildred L. Clapp, 93, of Clinton, and formerly of Toronto and Oxford Junction, died on Saturday morning at Bickford Cottage in Clinton, Iowa. Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, June
- Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich Dec. 27, 1932 - June 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich, 80, of Clinton, passed away, Monday, June 17, 2013 surrounded by his family at Select Specialty Hospital in Davenport. Private Family Services will be W
- William Joseph Pokorny William Joseph Pokorny March 25, 1952 - June 15, 2013 BRYANT --William Joseph Pokorny, 61, of Bryant, Iowa passed away peacefully at his home on June 15th, 2013. Honoring his wishes, cremation rights have been accorded with a private celebration of h
Dean Brian Dahlin
LeClaire Dean Brian Dahlin Dean Brian Dahlin, 55, of LeClaire, died Sunday at his home. Services are pending at Weerts Funeral Home, Davenport.
- Robert D. Dykema Robert D. Dykema Aug. 25, 1932 - June 14, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Robert D. Dykema, 80, of Fulton, died Friday, June 14, 2013, at his home. Memorial service will be at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, June 19, 2013, at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral
- Julie Ann Hutchins Merced, Calif. Julie Ann (Dieckmann) Hutchins Julie Ann (Dieckmann) Hutchins, 47, of Merced, Calif. and formerly of Calamus, died Sunday at Hy-Lond Health Care Center in Merced. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- More Obituaries Headlines