Oct. 18, 1917 - Nov. 23, 2012
Raymond O. Eggers, age 95, of Clinton, died Friday Nov. 23, 2012 at Mercy Living Center North.
Funeral services will be held 11:00 a.m. Monday Nov. 26th at Faith Lutheran Church in Andover. Visitation will be held Monday 9:30 a.m. until the service hour at the church. Burial will be at Oakland Cemetery. The Pape Funeral Home is assisting the family. Casket bearers will be his nephews. Honorary pallbearers will be his grandchildren and special friends. Memorials may be given to the church. Online condolences may be left at www.papefh.com.
Raymond Otto Eggers was born October 8, 1917, in Clinton, Iowa, the son of Hans and Emma (Jones) Eggers. He was confirmed on November 30, 1934. Raymond was a charter member of Faith Lutheran Church in Andover, where he served on the church council.
He farmed his entire life on the family farm located south of Andover. On December 27, 1939, he married Jeanette Mommsen who was his devoted partner in farming, church work, playing cards, dancing and travelling with friends and family.
Raymond was admired for his dedicated work ethic and rejoiced with the dawning of each new day with chores to do and another farm task to complete. He was always the first to help a neighbor in need and would not leave until the last task was done. Threshing oats with his neighbors, making hay, filling silos, and building new sheds are lingering treasured memories of working together. Donating blood for others was also a very important part of Raymond’s life not only during the war but also for many, many years thereafter. He surpassed the five gallon donor achievement early in his life and continued to donate whenever the hospital called.
Surprisingly, Raymond appreciated a good joke from painting the dog’s tail to throwing off his grandsons’ shoes and having them catch them while baling hay. One of his famous euphemisms was “Age before beauty, wear out the old first” and then he would say, “Hey, kid get that gate open!!”
Lastly, he loved playing board games and cards with his grandchildren. His greatest loves and joys in later years were the babies he could hold and welcome on his lap. And finally, the sincere handshakes from his family and friends at Faith Lutheran Church were the most generous, appreciated. blessed gifts that he received during worship. What joy those hands gave him.
His family includes daughters; Janice Gray (Ron) of Miles, IA; Phyllis (Ed) Hazelhurst of Prescot, AZ; Laurie (Steve) Wood of Iowa City, IA; Marcia (Steve) Witt of Clinton, IA; and son Eugene (Virginia) Eggers of Clinton, IA. He will be missed by fourteen grandchildren and their families of twenty-nine great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents, his wife Jeanette, a sister, Erma Jorgensen and four brothers: Clifford, Peter, Leonard and Edward. Also preceding his death was grandson Michael Gray, great granddaughter Hannah Erickson, great grandchild Rene Ploeger, and son-in-law Ron Gray.
Death date: Nov. 23, 2012
Oct. 18, 1917 - Nov. 23, 2012
Barbara J. Determann
Barbara J. Determann, 52, passed away peacefully on Saturday, May 4, 2013 surrounded by family at Kaiser Permanente Hospital in San Francisco, CA.
- Durwin 'Dur' Kerry Wilhelm Durwin 'Dur' Kerry Wilhelm Sept. 5, 1953-May 14, 2013 PRESTON -- Durwin "Dur" Kerry Wilhelm, age 59, of Preston, Iowa, died on Tuesday, May 14, 2013, at home surrounded by his family. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, May 17, 2013, at
- Dwain Galloway Dwain Galloway June 30, 1942-May 14, 2013 GRAND MOUND -- Dwain Galloway, 70, of Grand Mound, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, May 14, 2013, at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City. The family will receive relatives and friends at Schultz Fu
- Garry L. Dithmart Clinton Garry L. Dithmart Garry L. Dithmart, 79, of Clinton, died Wednesday at his daughter's home in Clinton. Visitation will be from 3 to 6 p.m. Sunday at the Pape Funeral Home. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Monday at the funeral home. A complet
- Marcia L. Ortega MORRISON, Ill. — Marcia L. Ortega, 55, of Morrison, died Tuesday at her home. A memorial service will be held at 6 p.m. Friday at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home. There will be no visitation; the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renk
- Dr. Mary J. Pettersen HAMMOND, Ind. -- Dr. Mary J. Pettersen, age 84, of Hammond, died Saturday. A celebration of her life will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Interment will be in Mount Hope Cemetery, Maquoketa. There wa
- Sheryl Kay Cotter Sheryl Kay Cotter September 24, 1943-May 14, 2013 CLINTON -- Sheryl Kay Cotter, 69, of Clinton, Iowa, lost her battle with cancer on Tuesday, May 14, 2013, at Mercy Living Center North, Clinton, with her husband at her side. Her funeral services will
- Ruth (Doonan) Bulfinch Ruth (Doonan) Bulfinch March 10, 1921-April 24, 2013 MESA, Ariz., MORRISON, Ill. -- Ruth (Doonan) Bulfinch, 92, of Mesa and formerly of Morrison, died April 24, 2013, in Mesa. Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Saturday, May 18, 2013, at the Morrison U
- Harold Galloway Grand Mound Harold Galloway Harold Galloway, 70, of Grand Mound, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City. Arrangements are pending with Schultz Funeral Homes.
- Durwin 'Dur' K. Wilhelm Preston Durwin 'Dur' K. Wilhelm Durwin "Dur" K. Wilhelm, 59, of Preston, died Tuesday at home. Funeral arrangements are pending with Law-Jones Funeral Home, Preston.
- More Obituaries Headlines
- Barbara J. Determann