March 28, 1915 - Nov. 24, 2012
Gordon DeLay Meyers, age 97, of Clinton, formerly of Davenport, passed away on Saturday, November 24, 2012, at the Alverno in Clinton.
Services will be conducted by Rev. Paul Holmer at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, November 28, 2012, at Weerts Funeral Home, Kimberly and Jersey Ridge in Davenport. The family will greet friends from 6 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday at the funeral home with a Rose Croix service conducted at 7 p.m.; and on Wednesday, one hour prior to service time. Burial will be in Davenport Memorial Park. Memorials may be made to Immanuel Lutheran Church (Clinton), Shriners Hospitals for Children, Guardian Angels Pet Rescue, or any charity of choice.
Gordon DeLay Meyers was born March 28, 1915, in Kankakee, Illinois, to Robert Albert and Jessie Melinda DeLay Meyers. Gordon was a 1934 graduate of Kankakee High School. He was a tool and die maker, serving his apprenticeship at the Roper Stove Works in Kankakee.
On October 31, 1936, he married Marjorie M. Fleming at her family’s rural home near Marseilles, Illinois. Marjorie and Gordon began their married life in Chicago. They moved to Davenport, Iowa, in 1940 and resided there for over 65 years. Gordon was employed at Reynold’s Engineering Company in Rock Island and the Rock Island Arsenal, retiring in 1977. In 2008, upon the death of his wife, Gordon moved to Sarah Harding Senior Living in Clinton where he resided until moving to the Alverno in June, 2012.
Gordon was an active member of St. Paul Lutheran Church, Davenport, for many years before transferring his membership to Immanuel Lutheran Church in Clinton. He was a member of Roosevelt Lodge 626 in Davenport, a member of the Kaaba Shriners and the Kaaba Shriners Greeters, and a member of High Twelve, Davenport and Clinton. He was extremely proud of his affiliation with the Shriners and the work of the Shriners Hospitals for children.
In addition to being a skilled tool and die maker by profession, Gordon was a skilled craftsman and woodworker by avocation. He made many clocks, tables, quilt racks, bookends, and vases, primarily from cherry and oak, and one special cradle which has been used by all of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Gordon is survived by his daughter, Mary Melinda Smith (Raymond), Clinton, Iowa; his daughter-in-law, Janis Meyers, Galesburg, Illinois; grandchildren, Gregory (Marcia) Smith, Marion, Iowa, Mark (Kris) Smith, Iowa City, Iowa, and Kristen (Scott) Shumard Sterling, Illinois; seven great-grandchildren, Michael, Emily, Elizabeth, Ryan, Jason, Aaron and Laura; one niece and three nephews. Also left to honor his memory is his dear friend Marian Irey.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Marjorie, and his son, Paul Gordon Meyers, in 2008.
Online condolences may be expressed to Gordon’s family by visiting his obituary at www.WeertsFH.com.
Death date: Nov. 24, 2012
March 28, 1915 - Nov. 24, 2012
- Gunnel Maria Lundquist MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. -- Gunnel Maria Lundquist, 96, of Mount Carroll, died Thursday at the Carroll County Good Samaritan Center in Mount Carroll. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at the Mount Carroll United Methodist Church with the
- Carlyle A. Rickertsen Carlyle A. Rickertsen April 11, 1944 - May 21, 2013 WYOMING, Iowa -- Carlyle A. Rickertsen, 69, of Wyoming formerly of Maquoketa, died Tuesday May 21, 2013 at his home following an extended illness. Friends may call from 3:00 to 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday
- Jean Renner Maquoketa Jean Renner Jean Renner, 78, of Maquoketa, died Friday at her home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Jule E. Luckritz Clinton Jule E. Luckritz Jule E. Luckritz, 73, of Clinton, died Friday at Mercy Living Center North. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Lloyd T. Weigandt Lloyd T. Weigandt Dec. 13, 1926 - May 21, 2013 LANCASTER, Wis. -- Lloyd T. Weigandt, D.C., of Lancaster, WI passed away on Tuesday May 21, 2013 at Lancaster Care Center, Lancaster, WI. Memorial services will be at 11:00 a.m. Friday May 31st at Lancas
- Diana F. Posey PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. -- Diana F. Posey, 54, of Prophetstown, died Thursday, at OSF St. Francis in Peoria, Ill. Funeral service will be at 1 p.m. Tuesday at the Prophetstown United Methodist Church. Visitation is from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday at the ch
- Vernon K. Stidham Vernon K. Stidham Sept. 1, 1937 - May 23, 2013 ROCK ISLAND, Ill. -- Vernon K. Stidham, 75, of Rock Island, passed away Thursday, May 23, 2013 at his home. Services will be private. A memorial fund has been established for his grandchildren's educati
- Marjorie E. Rowe
- Stan McCrudden
- Richard "Rick" A. Hale
- More Obituaries Headlines