ROCK ISLAND, Ill. —
March 18, 1931 - Oct. 5, 2012
George J. Brown, 81, of Rock Island, IL, formerly of DeWitt and Moline, died Friday, October 5, 2012, at Genesis East Medical Center in Davenport, Iowa.
Visitation will be Tuesday, October 9, from 4 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Wendt Funeral Home in Moline. Services will be held Wednesday, October 10, at 10 a.m. at Saint George Greek Orthodox Church, 2930 31st Avenue, Rock Island, IL. Burial will take place at National Cemetery on Arsenal Island in Rock Island, IL, with military rites accorded by American Legion Post #246 of Moline.
Memorials may be made to Saint George Greek Orthodox Church in Rock Island.
George James Brown was born in Moline on March 18, 1931, to James and Katherine (Kapandis) Brown. On April 28, 1957, in East Moline, he married Mary G. Soulis, who preceded him in death on January 23, 2009.
He retired from the U.S. Navy in 1996, after 36+ years of service. George operated Brown’s Shoe Barn in DeWitt, IA, from 1956 until 1988, and then operated Brown’s Shoe Hospital in Moline, until his retirement in 1998.
He was a member of Saint George Greek Orthodox Church in Rock Island, and a lifetime member of Moline American Legion Post #246.
George was a very active member of the Navy Reserves in the Quad-City area during his time in the Navy. He was exceptionally proud of his service. He served on the USS Wasp during his active duty years, and attended several Wasp reunions, keeping in touch with his many Navy friends over the years.
Survivors include two daughters: Katherine Jones (Tim) of Keosauqua, IA, and Helen Langston (Sam) of Milan, IL; two sons: James G. Brown (Mary) of Cedar Rapids, IA, and Steven Brown (Corrine) of Paducah, KY; a sister: Mary Meader of Arizona; and six grandchildren: Lauren and Jared (Jim), Jesse and Jennifer (Helen), Christopher and Jaime (Steve). He also had two great-grandchildren; Emily and Robert (Steve).
In addition to Mary, his wife of 55 years, he was preceded in death by his parents, three sisters, a brother, and a daughter, Georgia Brown.
Online condolences may be sent at www.wendtfuneralhome.com.
Death date: Oct. 5, 2012
ROCK ISLAND, Ill. —
March 18, 1931 - Oct. 5, 2012
- Mildred Tripp CHADWICK, Ill. -- Mildred Tripp, 81, of Sterling, Ill., formerly of Chadwick, died Thursday at CGH Hospital in Sterling. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Hope United Methodist Church in Chadwick. Burial will be in the Chadwick Cem
- Deanna J. Wagoner Deanna J. Wagoner Oct. 13, 1943 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Deanna J. Wagoner, age 69, of Clinton, died Friday May 17, 2013 at Mercy North Medical Center. Cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held 7:00 p.m. Tuesday, May 21st, a
- Mary Jo Kinkaid Mary Jo Kinkaid July 26, 1940 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Mary Jo Kinkaid, 72, of Clinton, passed away, Friday, May 17, 2013 in the hospital due to complications from surgery. The family will greet friends Tuesday, May 21, 2013 from 3:00 to 5:30 p.m. a
- Kristin R. Phillips Kristin R. Phillips Aug. 29, 1957 - May 16, 2013 CLINTON -- Kristin R. Phillips, 55, of Clinton, IA, died Thursday, May 16, 2013, at her home. Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Monday, May 20, 2013 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral H
- Margaret 'Marge' Donnelly Margaret Donnelly May 4, 1929 - May 16, 2013 CLINTON -- Mrs. Margaret E. "Marge" Donnelly, 84, of Clinton, Iowa, formerly of DeWitt, Iowa, died Thursday morning, May 16, 2013 at Genesis Medical Center-East Campus, Davenport, Iowa. The family will rec
Barbara J. Determann
Barbara J. Determann, 52, passed away peacefully on Saturday, May 4, 2013 surrounded by family at Kaiser Permanente Hospital in San Francisco, CA.
- Durwin 'Dur' Kerry Wilhelm Durwin 'Dur' Kerry Wilhelm Sept. 5, 1953-May 14, 2013 PRESTON -- Durwin "Dur" Kerry Wilhelm, age 59, of Preston, Iowa, died on Tuesday, May 14, 2013, at home surrounded by his family. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, May 17, 2013, at
- Dwain Galloway Dwain Galloway June 30, 1942-May 14, 2013 GRAND MOUND -- Dwain Galloway, 70, of Grand Mound, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, May 14, 2013, at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City. The family will receive relatives and friends at Schultz Fu
- Garry L. Dithmart Clinton Garry L. Dithmart Garry L. Dithmart, 79, of Clinton, died Wednesday at his daughter's home in Clinton. Visitation will be from 3 to 6 p.m. Sunday at the Pape Funeral Home. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Monday at the funeral home. A complet
- Marcia L. Ortega MORRISON, Ill. — Marcia L. Ortega, 55, of Morrison, died Tuesday at her home. A memorial service will be held at 6 p.m. Friday at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home. There will be no visitation; the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renk
- More Obituaries Headlines