Jan. 7, 1930 – July 5, 2012
Harold L. Lawrence, 82, of Camanche, Iowa died on July 5, 2012 at his home surrounded by his family.
Services will be held 10:30 AM, Monday, July 9, 2012 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig. Visitation will be 4 to 7 PM, Sunday, July 8, 2012 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home & Crematory. Burial will be at the St. Irenaeus Catholic Cemetery Clinton, IA. Pallbearers will be Nick Lawrence, Jordan Lawrence, Chris Powers, Colin Sullivan, Randy Block and Dave Howard.
Honorary Pall Bearers will be Granddaughters; Erica Lawrence, Sara Sisson, Maggie Block, Stacy Lawrence, Stacy Powers, and Megan Sullivan as well as Earl Farrell and Tony Amesquita.
Harold Leroy Lawrence was born January 7, 1930 in Morrison, IL to Floyd I Lawrence and Iva (Kincaid) Lawrence. He graduated from Lyons High School in 1947. He attended the University of Iowa where he was a member of the Pershing Rifles Military Fraternity. After college he served in the National Guard.
He was united in marriage to Joan Margaret Fielder, October 1, 1950. They were in their 62nd year of marriage.
Harold retired in 1995 after 45 years in the homebuilding industry. He started in 1950 with Eclipse Lumber Company as a draftsman in their new home division eventually moving in to Sales. He then moved to Burlington, IA in 1956 to head the Eclipse Homes New Construction Department developing new subdivisions in the area. He then came back to the Clinton area getting his real estate license and eventually becoming a Broker. He then went to work for Advance Homes in Davenport as a Salesman earning numerous Salesman of the Year Awards from Advance in the 1960’s. In 1970 he started his own business; Homework Corporation selling package homes to customers in eastern Iowa and western Illinois. That, along with Lawrence real estate and a Wausau Homes dealership for this area, lasted until 1983, when he decided to move the family to Cape Coral, Florida. While there, he started Lawrence Homes and was joined by his son Sean in the business, building custom homes in the Cape Coral, Fort Myers area until 1993 when they returned to Clinton.
Harold’s interests included any athletic activities, being a member of the Fort Myers 50 plus Softball League. He also competed in several Master’s Track and Field meets both in Iowa and Florida. He held national records in his age group in the 100m, 200m and long jump. He also enjoyed any pick-up basketball games he could get into. But most of all his family was his focus. He loved holidays when all of his family would be together. His grandchildren were his world. He also enjoyed music, playing numerous instruments including the piano, trumpet, accordion and banjo. He was also a gifted artist drawing hundreds of pencil drawings throughout his lifetime.
Harold is survived by his wife Joan of Camanche, one son Sean (Andrea) of Camanche, a grandson, Nick (Cherie) Lawrence, granddaughters: Stacy (Chris) Powers and Megan Colin) Sullivan and grandson Jordan Lawrence all of Camanche. A daughter-in-law Terri Lawrence (Tony Amesquita) of Sterling, IL, granddaughters Erica Lawrence of Vermont. Sara Sisson, Maggie (Randy) Block and Stacy Lawrence all of Sterling, IL. A brother, Robert (Donnis) Lawrence of Santa Fe, NM., a sister Barbara (Bill) Rowland of Marion, IA and a sister Bonnie (Dave) Foley of Camanche and numerous nieces and nephews. Great Grandchildren; Courtney and Lauren Fritz, Weston Sisson, Shay Willette, Lainey and Delia Block, Taylor Powers, Jaxson Lawrence and Lawson Sullivan.
He was preceded in death by his parents, one brother Floyd (Pete) Lawrence, his son Scott Lawrence and daughter Stacy Lawrence.
Memorials may be made to Mercy Hospice.
Online condolences may be expressed by visiting www.snellzornig.com.
Death date: July 5, 2012
Jan. 7, 1930 – July 5, 2012
- Mildred Tripp CHADWICK, Ill. -- Mildred Tripp, 81, of Sterling, Ill., formerly of Chadwick, died Thursday at CGH Hospital in Sterling. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Hope United Methodist Church in Chadwick. Burial will be in the Chadwick Cem
- Deanna J. Wagoner Deanna J. Wagoner Oct. 13, 1943 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Deanna J. Wagoner, age 69, of Clinton, died Friday May 17, 2013 at Mercy North Medical Center. Cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held 7:00 p.m. Tuesday, May 21st, a
- Mary Jo Kinkaid Mary Jo Kinkaid July 26, 1940 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Mary Jo Kinkaid, 72, of Clinton, passed away, Friday, May 17, 2013 in the hospital due to complications from surgery. The family will greet friends Tuesday, May 21, 2013 from 3:00 to 5:30 p.m. a
- Kristin R. Phillips Kristin R. Phillips Aug. 29, 1957 - May 16, 2013 CLINTON -- Kristin R. Phillips, 55, of Clinton, IA, died Thursday, May 16, 2013, at her home. Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Monday, May 20, 2013 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral H
- Margaret 'Marge' Donnelly Margaret Donnelly May 4, 1929 - May 16, 2013 CLINTON -- Mrs. Margaret E. "Marge" Donnelly, 84, of Clinton, Iowa, formerly of DeWitt, Iowa, died Thursday morning, May 16, 2013 at Genesis Medical Center-East Campus, Davenport, Iowa. The family will rec
Barbara J. Determann
Barbara J. Determann, 52, passed away peacefully on Saturday, May 4, 2013 surrounded by family at Kaiser Permanente Hospital in San Francisco, CA.
- Durwin 'Dur' Kerry Wilhelm Durwin 'Dur' Kerry Wilhelm Sept. 5, 1953-May 14, 2013 PRESTON -- Durwin "Dur" Kerry Wilhelm, age 59, of Preston, Iowa, died on Tuesday, May 14, 2013, at home surrounded by his family. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, May 17, 2013, at
- Dwain Galloway Dwain Galloway June 30, 1942-May 14, 2013 GRAND MOUND -- Dwain Galloway, 70, of Grand Mound, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, May 14, 2013, at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City. The family will receive relatives and friends at Schultz Fu
- Garry L. Dithmart Clinton Garry L. Dithmart Garry L. Dithmart, 79, of Clinton, died Wednesday at his daughter's home in Clinton. Visitation will be from 3 to 6 p.m. Sunday at the Pape Funeral Home. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Monday at the funeral home. A complet
- Marcia L. Ortega MORRISON, Ill. — Marcia L. Ortega, 55, of Morrison, died Tuesday at her home. A memorial service will be held at 6 p.m. Friday at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home. There will be no visitation; the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renk
- More Obituaries Headlines