Donald Albert Sorensen
April 30, 1927-March 9, 2013
CLINTON — Donald Albert Sorensen passed away March 9, 2013, in Clinton, Iowa.
He was born on April 30, 1927, in Clinton to Petrine (Morsing) and Carsten Sorensen. After graduating from Clinton High School in 1945, Don served one year in the U.S. Army before being honorably discharged.
Don married Joan Dinnie in Clinton, Iowa, on September 25, 1948. He was founder and CEO of Sorensen Homes, Inc. a residential and land development company. Over the course of his forty-year career he built more than 800 home, apartment houses and condominiums. He was the first to introduce the condominium concept to Clinton.
Don was active in many professional organizations including the Builders Club (president), American Builders & Contractors, Clinton Board of Realtors (president), Clinton Board of Realtors (president), Gyros, AMVETS, Slo-Spokes and Clinton Country Club (president.)
In his retirement, Don enjoyed woodworking and making unique creations from golf balls. He and Joan wintered for many years in Destin, Florida. Don also enjoyed golfing and his Wednesday poker games.
Don is survived by his wife, Joan; daughter, Donna (Kris Westphal) Sorensen of Iowa City; daughter, Debbie (Bob) Ketelsen of Clinton; daughter, Deena (Kevin) Determan of Clinton; son, Ken (Sue) Sorensen of Eden Prairie, MN; daughter-in-law, Beth Wirtz of Phoenix, AZ; twelve grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his sister, his brother and his son, Kevin.
A service to celebrate Don’s life will be 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, March 13, 2013, at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Cemetery. Pallbearers will be Don’s grandsons: Tony Cozzolino, Nathan Determan, Bret Sorensen, Bart Sorensen, Ben Sorensen, Blake Sorensen and Kyle Sorensen. Visitation will be Tuesday evening from 4 to 7 p.m. at the funeral home. Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the Clinton County Chapter of Relay for Life.
Death date: March 9, 2013
Donald Albert Sorensen
- Marjorie E. Rowe Maquoketa Marjorie E. Rowe Marjorie E. Rowe, 90, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at Clover Ridge Place in Maquoketa. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Timothy Nathan Thomas MAQUOKETA -- Timothy Nathan Thomas, 31, of Maquoketa and formerly of Marion, died Wednesday, after a battle with cancer. A celebration of his life will be held at 7 p.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be
- James R. Streat Clinton James R. Streat James R. Streat, 67, of Clinton, died Tuesday at his home. Cremation rites have been accorded. Arrangements are pending at Pape Funeral Home.
- Jane Schulz DEWITT -- Jane Schulz, 59, of Wheatland, formerly of DeWitt, died Wednesday, May 22, 2013, at Genesis Medical Center-West, Davenport. Friends may call at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 3:00 until 7:00 p.m. Friday. A Funeral Service will be held a
- Richard 'Rick' A. Hale Sabula Richard "Rick" A. Hale Richard "Rick" A. Hale, 58, of Long Grove, died Tuesday at New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington, N.C. Arrangements are pending at Law- Jones Funeral Home.
- Anne M. Petersen MORRISON, Ill. -- Anne M. Petersen, 77, of Morrison, died Saturday, at Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m Friday at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Morrison, with the Rev. Father William Antillon, pastor at St. M
- Loretta M. Sosnowski SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Loretta M. Sosnowski, age 97, passed away May 18, 2013. She is survived by her daughters: JoAnn Jones, of Springfield, MO, and Judy Greggar of Releigh, NC. She will be buried in Fulton, IL. Death date: May 18, 2013
- Mary C. Hicks Maquoketa Mary C. Hicks Mary C. Hicks, 79, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at her home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Joan E. Turney Joan E. Turney Nov. 19, 1927 - May 19, 2013 MAQUOKETA -- Joan E. Turney, 85, of Maquoketa, Iowa, passed away at her home on Sunday, May 19, 2013, after a long battle with cancer. A celebration of Joan's life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, May 2
- JoAnn J. Bruhn WESTLAKE, Ohio -- JoAnn J. Bruhn (nee Birt), age 78, formerly of Clinton, beloved wife of Leonard, died. Dear mother of Alex (Julie) Bruhn and the late Kristine Bruhn (Brahim) Loving grandmother of Zachary, Noah, Dylan and Ian. Sister of Ronald Birt.
- More Obituaries Headlines