Sidney ‘Sid’ John McDonald
Dec. 12, 1916-Jan. 16, 2013
CLINTON — Sidney “Sid” John McDonald, 96, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away at his home on January 16, 2013.
Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, January 22, at Jesus Christ Prince of Peace Church. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. on Monday, January 21, at Lemke Funeral Homes, South Chapel, west side of Clinton Lawn Cemetery. Burial will take place at St. Mary’s Cemetery immediately following the funeral service. Lemke Funeral Homes is assisting the family with arrangements.
Sid was born December 12, 1916, in DeWitt, Iowa, the son of Earl H. and Catherine (Lawsen) McDonald. He was united in marriage to Madeline Sweeney on May 28, 1940, in Clinton, Iowa; Madeline passed away April 30, 1993. Sid served his country in the U.S. Navy from May 1942 to October 1945.
For many years Sid was director of personnel and employee relations for the Clinton Garment Company.
Throughout his life Sid volunteered and dedicated much of his time as an active member in many organizations including: The Community Federation & United Fund Campaigns, chairman of the Clinton County Red Cross Campaign, Clinton County chairman for the Iowa Society for Crippled Children, served on the Governor’s Rent Control Board, member of the board of directors of Clinton Chamber of Commerce, member of the board of directors of the United Veterans Hospital Organization, member of the board of directors and chairman of the Clinton Recreation Commission, member of the board of directors and commander of AMVETS, member of the board of directors of the Clinton Baseball Club, member of the American Manufacturing Association, member of the American Society for Training and Development, member of the Third and Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus, member of the board of directors and President of Gateway Personnel Association, member of the board of directors of St. Mary’s Cemetery.
Other lifelong accomplishments include: recipient of “Outstanding Young Man of the Year” awarded in 1952, received a fifteen-year award pin for adult Boy Scout works, was commissioned a “Kentucky Colonel” in 1996 and appeared before Congress on veteran affairs.
Sid loved collecting classic and antique automobiles. He also enjoyed collecting coins and was a past member of the board of directors of the Illowa Coin Club. Above all, Sid loved his family — he will be greatly missed by many.
Sid is survived by his son, Doug (Lana Clement) McDonald of Milburn, Iowa; two grandchildren, Stacy (Nick) McDonald, Eric (Kelley) McDonald; three great-granddaughters, Sydney, Maddyson, Nevaeh; and one sister, Marion Holcomb of Desoto, Texas.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his wife, Madeline; four sisters and two brothers.
Memorials may be directed to the family.
Online condolences can be left at www.lemkefuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Jan. 16, 2013
Sidney ‘Sid’ John McDonald
- Marjorie E. Rowe Maquoketa Marjorie E. Rowe Marjorie E. Rowe, 90, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at Clover Ridge Place in Maquoketa. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Timothy Nathan Thomas MAQUOKETA -- Timothy Nathan Thomas, 31, of Maquoketa and formerly of Marion, died Wednesday, after a battle with cancer. A celebration of his life will be held at 7 p.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be
- James R. Streat Clinton James R. Streat James R. Streat, 67, of Clinton, died Tuesday at his home. Cremation rites have been accorded. Arrangements are pending at Pape Funeral Home.
- Jane Schulz DEWITT -- Jane Schulz, 59, of Wheatland, formerly of DeWitt, died Wednesday, May 22, 2013, at Genesis Medical Center-West, Davenport. Friends may call at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 3:00 until 7:00 p.m. Friday. A Funeral Service will be held a
- Richard 'Rick' A. Hale Sabula Richard "Rick" A. Hale Richard "Rick" A. Hale, 58, of Long Grove, died Tuesday at New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington, N.C. Arrangements are pending at Law- Jones Funeral Home.
- Anne M. Petersen MORRISON, Ill. -- Anne M. Petersen, 77, of Morrison, died Saturday, at Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m Friday at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Morrison, with the Rev. Father William Antillon, pastor at St. M
- Loretta M. Sosnowski SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Loretta M. Sosnowski, age 97, passed away May 18, 2013. She is survived by her daughters: JoAnn Jones, of Springfield, MO, and Judy Greggar of Releigh, NC. She will be buried in Fulton, IL. Death date: May 18, 2013
- Mary C. Hicks Maquoketa Mary C. Hicks Mary C. Hicks, 79, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at her home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Joan E. Turney Joan E. Turney Nov. 19, 1927 - May 19, 2013 MAQUOKETA -- Joan E. Turney, 85, of Maquoketa, Iowa, passed away at her home on Sunday, May 19, 2013, after a long battle with cancer. A celebration of Joan's life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, May 2
- JoAnn J. Bruhn WESTLAKE, Ohio -- JoAnn J. Bruhn (nee Birt), age 78, formerly of Clinton, beloved wife of Leonard, died. Dear mother of Alex (Julie) Bruhn and the late Kristine Bruhn (Brahim) Loving grandmother of Zachary, Noah, Dylan and Ian. Sister of Ronald Birt.
- More Obituaries Headlines