Dec. 20, 1924 - Sept. 13, 2012
George F. “Shorty” Beck Jr., 87, of Spragueville, Iowa, died on Thursday morning, September 13, 2012, at Mercy Medical Center, South Campus, Clinton, Iowa.
A celebration of “Shorty’s” life will be held at 2 p.m. Monday, September 17, 2012, from the Salem Lutheran Church in Spragueville, Iowa. Visitation will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. on Sunday, September 16, 2012, from the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Burial will be in the Spragueville, Iowa, Cemetery.
George F. Beck Jr. was born on December 20, 1924, at the family farm in Preston, Iowa, to George F. and Arminda A. (Hagemann) Beck Sr. He married Dorothy J. Reistroffer on June 29, 1947, at the Salem Lutheran Church in Spragueville where they have been active in many leadership roles of the church for the past 65 years. “Shorty” and Dorothy just celebrated their 65th anniversary. They were recipients of the Heart of Gold Volunteerism Award.
As a well-known area farmer, “Shorty” and Dorothy owned a farm north of Spragueville for over 50 years. In addition, he was an auctioneer and seed corn salesman for many years.
“Shorty” was a drummer and singer with the Oklahoma Cowboys and other bands. He was best known for his renditions of the “Auctioneer Song” and “Oh Boy.” He entertained and visited people at various nursing homes, always ending his performance with “How Great Thou Art.” “Shorty” also played baseball and softball in area leagues and was actively involved as a supporter of Preston sports teams. He loved telling jokes and spending time with his family.
Those left to honor his memory include his wife, Dorothy Beck, of Spragueville, IA; sons, Doug (Cathy) Beck of Wyoming, MN, Dick (Giny) Beck of Anamosa, IA, and Dan (Carla) Beck of Preston, IA; 8 grandchildren, Matt Beck, Bryan Beck, Jeff (Kelly) Beck, Bradley (Sara) Beck, Michelle (Jeremy) Samuels, Russie Beck, Alicia (Danny) Adams and Brice Beck; 6 great-grandchildren, Natalie, Trevor, Hudson, Dustin, Isla and Brooklyn; brothers, Ambrose (Caryl) Beck of Goose Lake, IA, and Robbert (Lenora) Beck of Sabula, IA; and a sister, Shirley (Allan) Felderman of Spragueville, IA.
He was preceded in death by his parents; a brother, Chelsea; and 3 sisters, Ruth Specht, Joyce McCartney and Virginia Bees.
In lieu of other expressions of sympathy, memorials may be made to the Salem Lutheran Church, the American Heart Association or Special Olympics.
Online condolences may be left at www.CarsonAndSon.com.
Death date: Sept. 13, 2012
Dec. 20, 1924 - Sept. 13, 2012
- Joan E. Turney Joan E. Turney Nov. 19, 1927 - May 19, 2013 MAQUOKETA -- Joan E. Turney, 85, of Maquoketa, Iowa, passed away at her home on Sunday, May 19, 2013, after a long battle with cancer. A celebration of Joan's life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, May 2
- JoAnn J. Bruhn WESTLAKE, Ohio -- JoAnn J. Bruhn (nee Birt), age 78, formerly of Clinton, beloved wife of Leonard, died. Dear mother of Alex (Julie) Bruhn and the late Kristine Bruhn (Brahim) Loving grandmother of Zachary, Noah, Dylan and Ian. Sister of Ronald Birt.
- Vernon Shimanek Maquoketa Vernon Shimanek Vernon Shimanek, 57, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Anne Petersen
- JoAnn Lichamer
- JoAnn J. Bruhn
- Donald D. Fair
- Mildred Tripp CHADWICK, Ill. -- Mildred Tripp, 81, of Sterling, Ill., formerly of Chadwick, died Thursday at CGH Hospital in Sterling. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Hope United Methodist Church in Chadwick. Burial will be in the Chadwick Cem
- Deanna J. Wagoner Deanna J. Wagoner Oct. 13, 1943 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Deanna J. Wagoner, age 69, of Clinton, died Friday May 17, 2013 at Mercy North Medical Center. Cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held 7:00 p.m. Tuesday, May 21st, a
- Mary Jo Kinkaid Mary Jo Kinkaid July 26, 1940 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Mary Jo Kinkaid, 72, of Clinton, passed away, Friday, May 17, 2013 in the hospital due to complications from surgery. The family will greet friends Tuesday, May 21, 2013 from 3:00 to 5:30 p.m. a
- More Obituaries Headlines