Fulton, Ill. —
Dorothy Ruth Wierenga
Dec. 10, 1922-March 9, 2013
FULTON, Ill. — Dorothy Ruth Wierenga, 90, of Fulton, died Saturday, March 9, 2013, at the Alverno health care facility in Clinton.
Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, March 13, 2013, at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home. The Rev. Scott Stephan, pastor of Second Reformed Church in Fulton, will officiate. Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, March 12, 2013, at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home. Interment will be in the Fulton Township Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, the family asks that memorials be made to Second Reformed Church in Fulton.
She was born December 10, 1922, in Clinton to Henry J. and Ruth (Dykema) Flikkema.
Dorothy was educated in the Fulton Grade School and graduated from Fulton High School in 1940. She then attended Scovill Business College in Clinton.
She married Clifford W. Wierenga on April 23, 1943, in Kalamazoo, MI; he died January 9, 2003.
Dorothy was first employed as a secretary in Attorney Blodgett’s office for three years in Fulton. She then was a secretary for 20 years in the Cliff Wierenga Insurance Agency in Fulton, which she and her husband owned and operated until retiring in 1988.
Dorothy was a communicant member of Second Reformed Church in Fulton where she taught Sunday school for 25 years. She was a member and past president of the Willing Workers Circle of the church and later was an associate member. She was also a member of the Reformed Church Women’s Circle. Dorothy served as neighborhood chairman for the Girl Scouts in Fulton.
Survivors include one daughter, Carolyn J. (James E.) Brauch of Lockport, Ill.; one daughter-in-law, Shirley (John) Wierenga-Huber of Fulton; five grandchildren: Michelle (Robert) Halfman, Kathleen (William) Purdy, Kevin (Casey) Brauch, Renay (Dan) Byers and Kami (Derrin) Huizenga; nine great-grandchildren; one sister, Mrs. Eleanor Kraft of Harvard, Ill.; one brother, Robert (Regi) Isenhart of Baltimore, MD; and special friends, Evan and Julie Davis and their children Scott (Lindsay) Davis and Kurt (April) Davis.
She was preceded in death by her husband and one son, Kenneth Wierenga.
To send online condolences go to www.bosmarenkes.com.
Death date: March 9, 2013
Fulton, Ill. —
Dorothy Ruth Wierenga
- Marjorie E. Rowe Maquoketa Marjorie E. Rowe Marjorie E. Rowe, 90, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at Clover Ridge Place in Maquoketa. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Timothy Nathan Thomas MAQUOKETA -- Timothy Nathan Thomas, 31, of Maquoketa and formerly of Marion, died Wednesday, after a battle with cancer. A celebration of his life will be held at 7 p.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be
- James R. Streat Clinton James R. Streat James R. Streat, 67, of Clinton, died Tuesday at his home. Cremation rites have been accorded. Arrangements are pending at Pape Funeral Home.
- Jane Schulz DEWITT -- Jane Schulz, 59, of Wheatland, formerly of DeWitt, died Wednesday, May 22, 2013, at Genesis Medical Center-West, Davenport. Friends may call at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 3:00 until 7:00 p.m. Friday. A Funeral Service will be held a
- Richard 'Rick' A. Hale Sabula Richard "Rick" A. Hale Richard "Rick" A. Hale, 58, of Long Grove, died Tuesday at New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington, N.C. Arrangements are pending at Law- Jones Funeral Home.
- Anne M. Petersen MORRISON, Ill. -- Anne M. Petersen, 77, of Morrison, died Saturday, at Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m Friday at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Morrison, with the Rev. Father William Antillon, pastor at St. M
- Loretta M. Sosnowski SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Loretta M. Sosnowski, age 97, passed away May 18, 2013. She is survived by her daughters: JoAnn Jones, of Springfield, MO, and Judy Greggar of Releigh, NC. She will be buried in Fulton, IL. Death date: May 18, 2013
- Mary C. Hicks Maquoketa Mary C. Hicks Mary C. Hicks, 79, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at her home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Joan E. Turney Joan E. Turney Nov. 19, 1927 - May 19, 2013 MAQUOKETA -- Joan E. Turney, 85, of Maquoketa, Iowa, passed away at her home on Sunday, May 19, 2013, after a long battle with cancer. A celebration of Joan's life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, May 2
- JoAnn J. Bruhn WESTLAKE, Ohio -- JoAnn J. Bruhn (nee Birt), age 78, formerly of Clinton, beloved wife of Leonard, died. Dear mother of Alex (Julie) Bruhn and the late Kristine Bruhn (Brahim) Loving grandmother of Zachary, Noah, Dylan and Ian. Sister of Ronald Birt.
- More Obituaries Headlines