April 30, 1924 - Aug. 25, 2012
Alvin P. Jacobsen, 88, of Clinton, died Saturday, August 25, 2012, at the Eagle Point Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Clinton.
Funeral services will be 10 a.m. Wednesday, August 29, 2012, at Ascension Lutheran Church, Goose Lake. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Cemetery with military honors being conducted by the Miles American Legion. Serving as pallbearers will be his grandchildren. Serving as honorary pallbearers will be the Goose Lake Lions Club. Visitation will be Tuesday from 3 to 7 p.m. at Ascension Lutheran Church. The Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory is in charge of arrangements.
Alvin Peter Jacobsen was born on April 30, 1924, in Jackson County, Iowa, the son of Jurgen and Helene (Seifert) Jacobsen. He married Gladys Schult on December 15, 1946, in Davenport, Iowa.
Alvin was a 1942 graduate of Clinton High School. He served in the United States Army 13th Air Corps for two years in the South Pacific during World War II.
Alvin farmed for 48 years retiring in 1996. He also worked as a millwright at Clinton Corn from 1942-1948.
Alvin was one of the founding members of Ascension Lutheran Church in Goose Lake, a member of the Clinton County Cattlemen’s Association, the Miles American Legion, a charter member of the Goose Lake Lions Club, a board member and past president of Preston Mutual, and a board member of Community Bank in Preston. He was also apart of the reorganization committee that consolidated the current Northeast Community School District in 1962.
Alvin is survived by his wife, Gladys, of Clinton; one daughter, Karen (Jim) Bruhn of Miles, Iowa; four sons: Dennis Jacobsen of Stanwood, Iowa, David (Tammy) Jacobsen of Clinton, Iowa, Mark (Peg) Jacobsen of Clinton, Iowa, and Loran (Teresa) Jacobsen of Goose Lake, Iowa; six grandchildren: Karlynn Miller, Stacy Waddell, Aaron Schaefer, Caley Jacobsen, Lee Jacobsen and Matthew Jacobsen, four great-grandchildren. He was also the godfather of John Crow and Diane (Harvey) Marten.
Alvin was preceded in death by his parents; his daughter, Joyce; and a grandson, Andrew Jacobsen.
The family requests that memorials be made to the Goose Lake Lions Club or Ascension Lutheran Church.
Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
Death date: Aug. 25, 2012
April 30, 1924 - Aug. 25, 2012
- Marjorie E. Rowe Maquoketa Marjorie E. Rowe Marjorie E. Rowe, 90, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at Clover Ridge Place in Maquoketa. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Timothy Nathan Thomas MAQUOKETA -- Timothy Nathan Thomas, 31, of Maquoketa and formerly of Marion, died Wednesday, after a battle with cancer. A celebration of his life will be held at 7 p.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be
- James R. Streat Clinton James R. Streat James R. Streat, 67, of Clinton, died Tuesday at his home. Cremation rites have been accorded. Arrangements are pending at Pape Funeral Home.
- Jane Schulz DEWITT -- Jane Schulz, 59, of Wheatland, formerly of DeWitt, died Wednesday, May 22, 2013, at Genesis Medical Center-West, Davenport. Friends may call at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 3:00 until 7:00 p.m. Friday. A Funeral Service will be held a
- Richard 'Rick' A. Hale Sabula Richard "Rick" A. Hale Richard "Rick" A. Hale, 58, of Long Grove, died Tuesday at New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington, N.C. Arrangements are pending at Law- Jones Funeral Home.
- Anne M. Petersen MORRISON, Ill. -- Anne M. Petersen, 77, of Morrison, died Saturday, at Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m Friday at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Morrison, with the Rev. Father William Antillon, pastor at St. M
- Loretta M. Sosnowski SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Loretta M. Sosnowski, age 97, passed away May 18, 2013. She is survived by her daughters: JoAnn Jones, of Springfield, MO, and Judy Greggar of Releigh, NC. She will be buried in Fulton, IL. Death date: May 18, 2013
- Mary C. Hicks Maquoketa Mary C. Hicks Mary C. Hicks, 79, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at her home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Joan E. Turney Joan E. Turney Nov. 19, 1927 - May 19, 2013 MAQUOKETA -- Joan E. Turney, 85, of Maquoketa, Iowa, passed away at her home on Sunday, May 19, 2013, after a long battle with cancer. A celebration of Joan's life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, May 2
- JoAnn J. Bruhn WESTLAKE, Ohio -- JoAnn J. Bruhn (nee Birt), age 78, formerly of Clinton, beloved wife of Leonard, died. Dear mother of Alex (Julie) Bruhn and the late Kristine Bruhn (Brahim) Loving grandmother of Zachary, Noah, Dylan and Ian. Sister of Ronald Birt.
- More Obituaries Headlines