In Loving Memory - Verla Eileen (Fletcher) Vens
Verla E. (Fletcher) Vens, 83, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away at Alverno Skilled Care on Wednesday, September 19, 2012, surrounded by family. Visitation will be held at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Sunday, September 23rd concluding with a vigil service. Mass of the Christian burial celebrating her life will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday, September 24, 2012, at Prince of Peace Catholic Church. Pallbearers will be grandsons, Raymond B. Vens, David M. Vens, Robert N. Vens, Anthony A.J. Vens, Brian J. McConnell, Kevin M. McConnell, Adam J. Mangan, Aaron M. Mangan, Cameron J. Vens, Joseph C. Vens and Ryan J. Vens. Burial will be in the St. Ireneaus Catholic Cemetery.
Verla was born January 2, 1929, to Harry A. Fletcher and Mae E. (McFate) Fletcher in Argo, Iowa. She was educated in the DeWitt schools and graduated with the Class of 1948. Verla participated in many school activities, including cheerleading, and was a baton twirler for the DeWitt High School marching band.
She was employed by Iowa Mutual Insurance Company for several years. Verla married Raymond J. (Ray) Vens of DeWitt, Iowa, on August 26, 1950, at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in DeWitt, Iowa. They were the parents of seven children, four boys and three girls. They lived in DeWitt, Iowa, for two years and then moved to Fairfield, Iowa, for two years before moving to Iowa City, Iowa. In 1963, the family moved to Clinton, Iowa, where Verla and her husband, Ray, joined William and Irene Core to form Core-Vens Insurance, a local Independent Insurance agency. Verla served on the Board of the company for several years as a director and officer.
In raising her family in Clinton, Verla served the community on many committees and volunteer activities, including Den Mother, St. Patrick’s School lunch program and Room Mother, Mercy Hospital Auxiliary and gift shop, snack bar, thrift shop, Mobile Meals, Alverno patient activities, Clinton Country Club, Parent Teacher Associations, and St. Patrick’s Church/Prince of Peace Parish.
She loved spending time with her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and hosting family gatherings. Her life was dedicated to their support and well-being.
Verla enjoyed cooking and flower gardening/landscaping at their family homes. She enjoyed visiting with her friends, playing bridge, golfing, and traveling with family and friends. She was a member and past officer of Chapter MH of the PEO Sisterhood.
Survivors include her children, Ellen Rae (Dr. Michael) Dehner of Alta, IA, Michael D. (Nancy) Vens of Mt. Pleasant, IA, Diane C. McConnell of Clinton, Jean M. (Mitch) Mangan of Clinton, Jeffrey A. (deceased) (Karen) Vens of Waukee, IA, Christopher D. (Kristine) Vens of Clinton, and Randall J. (Brenda) Vens of Clinton, 18 grandchildren, five great-grandchildren, and her sister, Marge Christopherson, of Clarence, IA.
She was preceded in death by her parents, husband, Raymond J. Vens on September 8, 2011, son Jeffrey A. Vens on November 6, 1999, and her brother, Gabby Fletcher.
Memorials may be made to a memorial fund being established in Verla’s name.
Online condolences may be expressed by visiting www.snellzornig.com.
Death date: Sept. 19, 2012
In Loving Memory - Verla Eileen (Fletcher) Vens
- Gary S. Trodick
- Dean Brian Dahlin
- Robert D. Stone
- Bradley H. Giddings
- Marcella G. Johnson MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. -- Marcella G. Johnson, 80, of Mount Carroll, died Sunday, at her home. Memorial Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Saints John and Catherine Catholic Church in Mount Carroll, with the Rev. Father Dennis Atto, pastor o
- Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck July 12, 1918 - June 13, 2013 IOWA CITY -- Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck, 94, died June 13, 2013, at his granddaughter's home in Iowa City. He was born July 12, 1918, at his family home near Lost Nation, Iowa, to Edwin and Viola Rutenb
- Julie Ann Hutchins MERCED, Calif. -- Julie Ann Hutchins, 47, died Sunday at Hy-Lond Health Care Center in Merced after a brief illness. The family will receive relatives and friends at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. Funeral services will be hel
- Allan D. Rickertsen Clinton Allan D. Rickertsen Allan D. Rickertsen, 69, of Clinton, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center North. Arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Mildred L. Clapp Mildred L. Clapp March 22, 1920 - June 15, 2013 CLINTON -- Mildred L. Clapp, 93, of Clinton, and formerly of Toronto and Oxford Junction, died on Saturday morning at Bickford Cottage in Clinton, Iowa. Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, June
- Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich Dec. 27, 1932 - June 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich, 80, of Clinton, passed away, Monday, June 17, 2013 surrounded by his family at Select Specialty Hospital in Davenport. Private Family Services will be W
- More Obituaries Headlines