July 28, 1935 - March 2, 2013
Edward (Slim) Charles Simon, age 77, died peacefully from lung cancer on Saturday morning, at his home surrounded by his family.
In honoring Edward’s wishes, no services or visitation will be held at this time. A memorial gathering will be held Sunday, July 28, 2013, at the Eagles Club in Monticello from noon until 4 p.m. Interment will be in the Oakwood Cemetery at a later date. Goettsch Funeral Home, Monticello, is caring for Edward and his family. Thoughts, memories and condolences may be left at www.goettschonline.com. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Cancer Research Foundation or Above and Beyond Hospice.
Those left to cherish his memory are his wife, LaFonda; a son, Douglas (Lisa) Simon, Marion; a daughter, Karen (Terry) Hildebrand, Robins; 4 grandchildren, Kelly and Brent Simon and Cole and Riley Hildebrand; a sister, Norma Zigler, Naperville, Ill.; his mother-in-law, Lovelda Thielen, Sabula; brother-in-law, Wally Lewis, Sparta, WI; sister-in-law and brother-in-law, Nancy and Stanley Von Thun, Andover; nieces and nephews, Kathy (Pat) Rossett, Melanie (Mike) Galle, Scott (Tabby) Lewis, Charlotte (Mike) Peters, Steve (Marigrace) Von Thun and Laura Von Thun.
He was preceded in death by his parents; a sister, Phyllis Lewis; and his father-in-law, Otto Thielen.
Edward Charles Simon was born July 28, 1935, at Savanna, Illinois. He was the son of Edward and Mildred Simon. Ed graduated from Savanna High School in 1953. He went on to serve in the United States Army from 1957 until 1960. On September 25, 1960, he was united in marriage to LaFonda Thielen at the Sabula Lutheran Church. Ed operated heavy equipment for Tschiggfrie, Dave Schmitt and Horsefield Construction. He was also an owner-operator of a tractor-trailer for several years, driving for companies such as Warren Transport, CRST, Heartland Express and 3-I. He traveled all over the United States and Canada.
Ed was an avid collector of watch fobs, construction toys, tractors and electric trains. He loved going to truck shows, train shows, toys shows, Bluegrass festivals and reading books. He took great pride in the flowers he planted around their home. His latest unofficial title was mayor of Langworthy, self-appointed of course.
The family would like to thank the staff of Above and Beyond Hospice for their special care and to all his friends for their care, support and prayers.
Death date: March 2, 2013
July 28, 1935 - March 2, 2013
- Gunnel Maria Lundquist MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. -- Gunnel Maria Lundquist, 96, of Mount Carroll, died Thursday at the Carroll County Good Samaritan Center in Mount Carroll. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at the Mount Carroll United Methodist Church with the
- Carlyle A. Rickertsen Carlyle A. Rickertsen April 11, 1944 - May 21, 2013 WYOMING, Iowa -- Carlyle A. Rickertsen, 69, of Wyoming formerly of Maquoketa, died Tuesday May 21, 2013 at his home following an extended illness. Friends may call from 3:00 to 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday
- Jean Renner Maquoketa Jean Renner Jean Renner, 78, of Maquoketa, died Friday at her home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Jule E. Luckritz Clinton Jule E. Luckritz Jule E. Luckritz, 73, of Clinton, died Friday at Mercy Living Center North. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Lloyd T. Weigandt Lloyd T. Weigandt Dec. 13, 1926 - May 21, 2013 LANCASTER, Wis. -- Lloyd T. Weigandt, D.C., of Lancaster, WI passed away on Tuesday May 21, 2013 at Lancaster Care Center, Lancaster, WI. Memorial services will be at 11:00 a.m. Friday May 31st at Lancas
- Diana F. Posey PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. -- Diana F. Posey, 54, of Prophetstown, died Thursday, at OSF St. Francis in Peoria, Ill. Funeral service will be at 1 p.m. Tuesday at the Prophetstown United Methodist Church. Visitation is from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday at the ch
- Vernon K. Stidham Vernon K. Stidham Sept. 1, 1937 - May 23, 2013 ROCK ISLAND, Ill. -- Vernon K. Stidham, 75, of Rock Island, passed away Thursday, May 23, 2013 at his home. Services will be private. A memorial fund has been established for his grandchildren's educati
- Marjorie E. Rowe
- Stan McCrudden
- Richard "Rick" A. Hale
- More Obituaries Headlines