Jan. 25, 1931 - July 28, 2012
Floyd M. Peters, 81, died peacefully at his rural Bellevue home on Saturday, July 28, 2012.
Funeral services will be held at 10:00 a.m. Tuesday, July 31, 2012, at St. Peter and Paul’s Catholic Church in Springbrook. Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Monday at Lahey Funeral Home in Maquoketa, where a vigil service will be held at 7:00 p.m. Visitation will also be held on Tuesday one hour before the service time at the church. Burial will be in St. John’s Cemetery, Andrew, Iowa.
Floyd Mathias Peters was born on January 25, 1931 to Alfred and Elda (Wagener) Peters in Bellevue, Iowa. He attended country school at Jackson #9 and graduated from St. Joseph (Marquette) High School in Bellevue.
In 1954 he was united in marriage to Lavonne Guyer and together they raised 7 children. Floyd was a life-long farmer, conservationist, and steward of the land, living his conviction of “...leaving things better than you found them.”
Floyd was a community and county leader. He actively supported extension education and the 4-H program, serving on the Jackson County Extension Board and 4-H Youth Committee. He served as a member of the Jackson County Cattlemen’s Association and Jackson County Fair Board for many years. Floyd was also a founding member of both the Eastern Iowa Stockyards and the Andrew-Jackson Demonstration Farm. Floyd and Lavonne were members of St. John’s Catholic Church in Andrew for over 50 years and more recently St. Peter and Paul’s Catholic Church in Springbrook.
Floyd is survived by his wife, Lavonne; daughters, Kathy (Kim) Keuter of Dubuque, Iowa, Karen (Jim) Rohlf of Bennett, Iowa, Kim (Kevin) Enwright of Camanche, Iowa, Kris (Brian) Schoeberl of Lewes, Delaware, and Karol (Gary) Fike of Westmoreland, Kansas; sons, Steve (Sherry) Peters and Charlie (Jenni) Peters, both of rural Bellevue, Iowa; 18 grandchildren and two step grandchildren; & one sister, Lucille Deppe of Maquoketa, Iowa.
Floyd was preceded in death by his parents, brother, Elmer Peters, an infant brother, Glen, a step grandchild, and his brother-in-law, Allan Deppe.
In lieu of flowers, memorials can be made to St. Peter and Paul’s Catholic Church of Springbrook, the Iowa 4-H Foundation, Hope Lodge of Iowa City, or the American Cancer Society.
Online condolences may be left for the family at www.laheys.com.
Death date: July 28, 2012
Jan. 25, 1931 - July 28, 2012
- Gary S. Trodick
- Dean Brian Dahlin
- Robert D. Stone
- Bradley H. Giddings
- Marcella G. Johnson MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. -- Marcella G. Johnson, 80, of Mount Carroll, died Sunday, at her home. Memorial Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Saints John and Catherine Catholic Church in Mount Carroll, with the Rev. Father Dennis Atto, pastor o
- Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck July 12, 1918 - June 13, 2013 IOWA CITY -- Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck, 94, died June 13, 2013, at his granddaughter's home in Iowa City. He was born July 12, 1918, at his family home near Lost Nation, Iowa, to Edwin and Viola Rutenb
- Julie Ann Hutchins MERCED, Calif. -- Julie Ann Hutchins, 47, died Sunday at Hy-Lond Health Care Center in Merced after a brief illness. The family will receive relatives and friends at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. Funeral services will be hel
- Allan D. Rickertsen Clinton Allan D. Rickertsen Allan D. Rickertsen, 69, of Clinton, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center North. Arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Mildred L. Clapp Mildred L. Clapp March 22, 1920 - June 15, 2013 CLINTON -- Mildred L. Clapp, 93, of Clinton, and formerly of Toronto and Oxford Junction, died on Saturday morning at Bickford Cottage in Clinton, Iowa. Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, June
- Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich Dec. 27, 1932 - June 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich, 80, of Clinton, passed away, Monday, June 17, 2013 surrounded by his family at Select Specialty Hospital in Davenport. Private Family Services will be W
- More Obituaries Headlines