March 2, 1923 - July 25, 2012
Robert (Bob) Worthington Phinney, age 89, formerly of Clinton, Iowa, passed away peacefully on Wednesday, July 25, 2012, at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf, Iowa.
Robert was born March 2, 1923, in Council Bluffs, IA, a son of Russell and Lillian Jones Phinney. He joined the Air Force in December 1943 at San Antonio, TX, and began flight school at Lubock Air Force Base. His advanced training for B-26 bomber pilot took place at Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana. On his 39th mission he was shot down and taken as a POW to Stalag Luft Ein in Barth, Germany. After the war ended he was flown to southern France and boarded the Queen Mary to return to the U.S.A and was greeted by General Eisenhower. Bob and his Bomb Group were awarded the Croix d'Guerre (Cross of War) by the French government.
Following his discharge from the military he attended and graduated from the University of Iowa where he was president of his Phi Kappa Psi fraternity and also met his wife Jaclyn Fitch, after a wink of the eye across a crowded room. His farewell to her was that same wink just hours before he went home to be with the Lord.
He married Jaclyn on October 1, 1949, in Clinton, Iowa. Bob spent his working career as a salesman for Maytag, Rod Fitch’s Sport Center, and Red Jacket Pump Co. from which he retired after 25 years in 1988. Retirement was spent traveling the world and enjoying the golf and sunshine in Palm Desert, CA, with his family and friends.
Bob is survived by his loving wife of almost 63 years, Jackie Phinney, of Bettendorf; his son, Dr. Richard (Dianne) Phinney of Davenport; daughter, Robin (Cameron) Turner of Blaine, MN; and grandchildren, Elizabeth Jean, Chicago and Andrew Robert, Davenport; a sister-in-law, Marilyn Fitch of Des Moines; and niece and nephew, Karen Fitch, Des Moines and Tom Fitch, Ft. Collins, CO.
He was preceded in death by his parents; brothers, Russell and Richard Phinney; and brother-in-law, Robert Fitch..
Private burial will be in Rock Island National Cemetery. Arrangements have been entrusted to Trimble Funeral and Cremation Center, Moline.
There will be a memorial gathering of family and friends Saturday, Aug. 4, from 4 to 6 p.m. at The Fountains, 3720 Thunder Ridge Road, Bettendorf, Iowa.
The family would like to thank Hillcrest Home in Geneseo, IL, and Clarissa Cook Hospice in Bettendorf for their compassionate care.
Death date: July 25, 2012
March 2, 1923 - July 25, 2012
Barbara J. Determann
Barbara J. Determann, 52, passed away peacefully on Saturday, May 4, 2013 surrounded by family at Kaiser Permanente Hospital in San Francisco, CA.
- Durwin 'Dur' Kerry Wilhelm Durwin 'Dur' Kerry Wilhelm Sept. 5, 1953-May 14, 2013 PRESTON -- Durwin "Dur" Kerry Wilhelm, age 59, of Preston, Iowa, died on Tuesday, May 14, 2013, at home surrounded by his family. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, May 17, 2013, at
- Dwain Galloway Dwain Galloway June 30, 1942-May 14, 2013 GRAND MOUND -- Dwain Galloway, 70, of Grand Mound, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, May 14, 2013, at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City. The family will receive relatives and friends at Schultz Fu
- Garry L. Dithmart Clinton Garry L. Dithmart Garry L. Dithmart, 79, of Clinton, died Wednesday at his daughter's home in Clinton. Visitation will be from 3 to 6 p.m. Sunday at the Pape Funeral Home. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Monday at the funeral home. A complet
- Marcia L. Ortega MORRISON, Ill. — Marcia L. Ortega, 55, of Morrison, died Tuesday at her home. A memorial service will be held at 6 p.m. Friday at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home. There will be no visitation; the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renk
- Dr. Mary J. Pettersen HAMMOND, Ind. -- Dr. Mary J. Pettersen, age 84, of Hammond, died Saturday. A celebration of her life will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Interment will be in Mount Hope Cemetery, Maquoketa. There wa
- Sheryl Kay Cotter Sheryl Kay Cotter September 24, 1943-May 14, 2013 CLINTON -- Sheryl Kay Cotter, 69, of Clinton, Iowa, lost her battle with cancer on Tuesday, May 14, 2013, at Mercy Living Center North, Clinton, with her husband at her side. Her funeral services will
- Ruth (Doonan) Bulfinch Ruth (Doonan) Bulfinch March 10, 1921-April 24, 2013 MESA, Ariz., MORRISON, Ill. -- Ruth (Doonan) Bulfinch, 92, of Mesa and formerly of Morrison, died April 24, 2013, in Mesa. Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Saturday, May 18, 2013, at the Morrison U
- Harold Galloway Grand Mound Harold Galloway Harold Galloway, 70, of Grand Mound, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City. Arrangements are pending with Schultz Funeral Homes.
- Durwin 'Dur' K. Wilhelm Preston Durwin 'Dur' K. Wilhelm Durwin "Dur" K. Wilhelm, 59, of Preston, died Tuesday at home. Funeral arrangements are pending with Law-Jones Funeral Home, Preston.
- More Obituaries Headlines
- Barbara J. Determann