Dec. 9, 1924 - Jan. 9, 2013
Clinton “Bob” Koontz, 88, of Maquoketa, Iowa, died Wednesday, January 9, 2013, at his home.
Public graveside services will be held on Sunday, January 20, 2013, at 1:30 p.m. at Sacred Heart Cemetery in Maquoketa. Friends may call from 5 to 8 p.m. on Saturday, January 19, 2013, at Lahey Funeral Home in Maquoketa.
Bob Koontz was born on December 9, 1924, in Dayton, Ohio, son of Clinton Koontz Sr. and Sylvia (Varner) Koontz. He married Alma Hinz on April 14, 1947.
Bob was a jack of all trades; he worked for JI Case and Caterpillar, but most of the time he had worked for himself at Koontz Repair. He enjoyed collecting Indian artifacts and was a storyteller. When he was 17, he enlisted into the Army and did not go through basic training. He served in World War II in the European-African mid-eastern theatre. He received a bronze star; he re-enlisted three more times in the Army Reserves and was asked to serve in Korea and declined.
He is survived by four children: Terry (Cindy) Koontz, of Maquoketa; Yvonne (Brent) Port of Marshalltown; Randy (Pattiey) Koontz of Lewis; Renee (Bill) Budde of Maquoketa; 14 grandchildren; 13 great-grandchildren; and his favorite grandog, Honey Dog; two sisters, Donna Jean Benedict of Maquoketa; Mary Ann Heneke of Strawberry Point; and two brothers; Jim (Judy) Koontz of Denison; Bill (May) Koontz of Calamus.
He was preceded in death by his parents; wife; one son, Gary; one granddaughter, Jodi Port-Flatt; and five brothers and sisters.
Memorials are preferred.
Online condolences may be left for the family at www.laheys.com.
Death date: Jan. 9, 2013
Dec. 9, 1924 - Jan. 9, 2013
- Anne M. Petersen MORRISON, Ill. -- Anne M. Petersen, 77, of Morrison, died Saturday, at Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m Friday at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Morrison, with the Rev. Father William Antillon, pastor at St. M
- Loretta M. Sosnowski SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Loretta M. Sosnowski, age 97, passed away May 18, 2013. She is survived by her daughters: JoAnn Jones, of Springfield, MO, and Judy Greggar of Releigh, NC. She will be buried in Fulton, IL. Death date: May 18, 2013
- Mary C. Hicks Maquoketa Mary C. Hicks Mary C. Hicks, 79, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at her home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Joan E. Turney Joan E. Turney Nov. 19, 1927 - May 19, 2013 MAQUOKETA -- Joan E. Turney, 85, of Maquoketa, Iowa, passed away at her home on Sunday, May 19, 2013, after a long battle with cancer. A celebration of Joan's life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, May 2
- JoAnn J. Bruhn WESTLAKE, Ohio -- JoAnn J. Bruhn (nee Birt), age 78, formerly of Clinton, beloved wife of Leonard, died. Dear mother of Alex (Julie) Bruhn and the late Kristine Bruhn (Brahim) Loving grandmother of Zachary, Noah, Dylan and Ian. Sister of Ronald Birt.
- Vernon Shimanek Maquoketa Vernon Shimanek Vernon Shimanek, 57, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Anne Petersen
- JoAnn Lichamer
- JoAnn J. Bruhn
- Donald D. Fair
- More Obituaries Headlines