Aug. 2, 1912 - Jan. 17, 2013
Inez Carlotta Carlson-Miller-Elsbury passed away on Thursday, January 17, 2013, at Mercy Living Center South in Clinton, Iowa, at the age of one- hundred years-five months.
Inez Carlotta Carlson was born August 2, 1912, in a sod house near Wewela, Tripp County, South Dakota. In the early 1900’s her parents, Oscar M. Carlson and Margaret J. Moles Carlson, had homesteaded a quarter section of land in Tripp County. Inez was the third of nine children with five brothers and two sisters. She attended high school in Colome, South Dakota, and was able to obtain a teaching certificate with that education. She taught in numerous one room country schools in both South Dakota and Iowa, following her parents when they moved from their homestead to a small farm north of Maquoketa in Jackson County. She finished her teaching career at Andrew Community Schools retiring in 1977, having taught there for over twenty years.
Inez always believed in and stressed the value of a good education and throughout her teaching career she took night courses to keep her teaching certificate up to date. During summer vacations she enrolled in courses at Mount St. Clare College in Clinton. She finally realized her dream and received her Bachelors of Science degree in education from Upper Iowa University in Fayette in the summer of 1970.
On May 25, 1944, she married Percy Miller, a Sand Prairie farmer (and later an electrician for Stickley Electric), in the living room of her parents’ rural home. Inez is survived by three children born to this union: Joel Miller and his wife, Diane, of Delavan, Wisconsin; Ronald Miller and his wife, Leanna, of Crystal Lake, Illinois; and Penny Royer and her husband, Dwight, of Clinton, Iowa. Her husband, Percy, preceded her in death on February 2, 1970. Inez is also survived by one sister, Margaret Reed of rural Spragueville; seven grandchildren; eleven great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews. On September 15, 1979, she married Wallace Elsbury in Maquoketa, Iowa. He preceded her in death in 1997.
Inez was a longtime resident of Clinton having lived for a number of years at Sarah Harding Retirement Home, Bickford Cottage assisted living and finally — Mercy Living Center South. Inez was an avid reader and enjoyed playing cards while at Mercy South. Her family surprised her with many guests (family and friends) at a celebration of her one-hundredth birthday in July of 2012. She was a member of the First Congregational United Church of Christ of Clinton.
Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Wednesday, January 23, 2013, at the First Congregational Church with visitation from 10 a.m. to the service hour. She will be laid to eternal rest alongside the love of her life, Percy, at the Andrew Cemetery, Andrew, Iowa. Serving as pallbearers will be Todd Royer, Eric Royer, Ryan Royer, Brian Miller, Mark Reed, David Reed and Joshua Flannigan.
Memorials can be made to the First Congregational Church, Clinton. The Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory is in charge of arrangements.
Death date: Jan. 17, 2013
Aug. 2, 1912 - Jan. 17, 2013
- Marcella G. Johnson MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. -- Marcella G. Johnson, 80, of Mount Carroll, died Sunday, at her home. Memorial Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Saints John and Catherine Catholic Church in Mount Carroll, with the Rev. Father Dennis Atto, pastor o
- Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck July 12, 1918 - June 13, 2013 IOWA CITY -- Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck, 94, died June 13, 2013, at his granddaughter's home in Iowa City. He was born July 12, 1918, at his family home near Lost Nation, Iowa, to Edwin and Viola Rutenb
- Julie Ann Hutchins MERCED, Calif. -- Julie Ann Hutchins, 47, died Sunday at Hy-Lond Health Care Center in Merced after a brief illness. The family will receive relatives and friends at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. Funeral services will be hel
- Allan D. Rickertsen Clinton Allan D. Rickertsen Allan D. Rickertsen, 69, of Clinton, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center North. Arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Mildred L. Clapp Mildred L. Clapp March 22, 1920 - June 15, 2013 CLINTON -- Mildred L. Clapp, 93, of Clinton, and formerly of Toronto and Oxford Junction, died on Saturday morning at Bickford Cottage in Clinton, Iowa. Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, June
- Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich Dec. 27, 1932 - June 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich, 80, of Clinton, passed away, Monday, June 17, 2013 surrounded by his family at Select Specialty Hospital in Davenport. Private Family Services will be W
- William Joseph Pokorny William Joseph Pokorny March 25, 1952 - June 15, 2013 BRYANT --William Joseph Pokorny, 61, of Bryant, Iowa passed away peacefully at his home on June 15th, 2013. Honoring his wishes, cremation rights have been accorded with a private celebration of h
Dean Brian Dahlin
LeClaire Dean Brian Dahlin Dean Brian Dahlin, 55, of LeClaire, died Sunday at his home. Services are pending at Weerts Funeral Home, Davenport.
- Robert D. Dykema Robert D. Dykema Aug. 25, 1932 - June 14, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- Robert D. Dykema, 80, of Fulton, died Friday, June 14, 2013, at his home. Memorial service will be at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, June 19, 2013, at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral
- Julie Ann Hutchins Merced, Calif. Julie Ann (Dieckmann) Hutchins Julie Ann (Dieckmann) Hutchins, 47, of Merced, Calif. and formerly of Calamus, died Sunday at Hy-Lond Health Care Center in Merced. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- More Obituaries Headlines