Oct. 2, 1928 - Jan. 21, 2013
Eugene “Gene” A. Hood, 84, of Clinton, passed away Monday, January 21, 2013, at Genesis Medical Center, Davenport, following a brief illness surrounded by his loving family. Funeral services will be held at Pape Funeral Home at 10:30 a.m. on Friday, January 25, 2013, with Pastor Joshua Martyn officiating. Visitation will be Thursday, January 24, 2013, from 4 to 7 p.m. Burial will be at Clinton Lawn Cemetery. Casket bearers will be grandsons, Logan, Connor, Evan Hood and nephews, Bill, Brent, Brian Lamp and Steve Shaff.
Gene was born October 2, 1928, in Clinton to John Francis Hood and Lena A. Berndt Hood. He lived his entire life in Clinton. He graduated from Clinton High School in 1948. Gene was a member of the Clinton High School swim team that won state championships in 1946 and 1947. His relay team achieved All-American status. Gene also excelled as a right half back on the Clinton High football team. He scored the first River King touchdown of the 1947 season and, also, scored the only touchdown in a 7-0 Homecoming victory over Iowa City. He competed the entire season with a broken hand, and managed to help win the state championship.
After graduation, Gene went to work for DuPont Company where he worked for 37 years in a variety of positions. He retired from DuPont as an electrician in 1985. Gene married the love of his life, June L. Lamp, on February 19, l956 in Charlotte, Iowa. They were happily married for 56 years. Gene and June enjoyed traveling with family throughout the United States and Europe. Gene was a member of Trinity Lutheran Church in Clinton. During his retirement years, he enjoyed fishing and hunting with his son, attending the many events in which his three beloved grandsons participated, and took pleasure in warmer climate vacations to Florida where his daughter resides.
Gene is survived by his wife, June, of Clinton; his son, Mark (Sarah) Hood of Clinton; his daughter, Sherry Hood of Tampa, Florida; 3 grandsons, Logan, Connor, Evan Hood of Clinton; brother, Larry (Karen) Hood of Clinton; sister, LeAnne (Willard) Larsen of Camanche; brother-in-law, William (Carolyn) Lamp of Charlotte; sister-in-law, Linda Lamp of Charlotte; many nieces and nephews; and his cherished cat, Smokey.
He was preceded in death by his parents; three sisters, Mildred, Linda and Jeri; three brothers, Milton, Merle and Jack Hood; and his brother-in-law, LeRoy Lamp.
The family requests that memorials be made to the Relay for Life Team at Trinity Lutheran Church or the charity of their choice.
Online condolences may be left at papefh.com.
Death date: Jan. 21, 2013
Oct. 2, 1928 - Jan. 21, 2013
- Gunnel Maria Lundquist MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. -- Gunnel Maria Lundquist, 96, of Mount Carroll, died Thursday at the Carroll County Good Samaritan Center in Mount Carroll. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at the Mount Carroll United Methodist Church with the
- Carlyle A. Rickertsen Carlyle A. Rickertsen April 11, 1944 - May 21, 2013 WYOMING, Iowa -- Carlyle A. Rickertsen, 69, of Wyoming formerly of Maquoketa, died Tuesday May 21, 2013 at his home following an extended illness. Friends may call from 3:00 to 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday
- Jean Renner Maquoketa Jean Renner Jean Renner, 78, of Maquoketa, died Friday at her home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Jule E. Luckritz Clinton Jule E. Luckritz Jule E. Luckritz, 73, of Clinton, died Friday at Mercy Living Center North. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Lloyd T. Weigandt Lloyd T. Weigandt Dec. 13, 1926 - May 21, 2013 LANCASTER, Wis. -- Lloyd T. Weigandt, D.C., of Lancaster, WI passed away on Tuesday May 21, 2013 at Lancaster Care Center, Lancaster, WI. Memorial services will be at 11:00 a.m. Friday May 31st at Lancas
- Diana F. Posey PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. -- Diana F. Posey, 54, of Prophetstown, died Thursday, at OSF St. Francis in Peoria, Ill. Funeral service will be at 1 p.m. Tuesday at the Prophetstown United Methodist Church. Visitation is from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday at the ch
- Vernon K. Stidham Vernon K. Stidham Sept. 1, 1937 - May 23, 2013 ROCK ISLAND, Ill. -- Vernon K. Stidham, 75, of Rock Island, passed away Thursday, May 23, 2013 at his home. Services will be private. A memorial fund has been established for his grandchildren's educati
- Marjorie E. Rowe
- Stan McCrudden
- Richard "Rick" A. Hale
- More Obituaries Headlines