MOLINE, Ill. —
May 14, 1927 - Feb. 17, 2013
Calvin C. Whitmore, 85, of Moline, Illinois, died Sunday, February 17, 2013, at Illini Restorative Care, in Silvis, IL.
Schroder Mortuary, Silvis, IL, are making arrangements; visitation will be held from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday at Schroder Mortuary in Silvis. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the mortuary. Burial will be in Rock Island Memorial Park Cemetery.
Calvin Clare Whitmore was born May 14, 1927, in Moline, Illinois, the only child of Wilbur C. and Olive Brooks Whitmore. Calvin graduated from Moline High School in 1944, served in the U.S. Army, November 1945 to April 1947. He married Phyllis M. Hazlett on June 26, 1946. He retired in October 1982 from Deere and Company as a technical writer. After retiring, he worked part time for Hertz for over 20 years. Cal enjoyed traveling with his late wife, Phyllis.
Calvin started bowling in 1940 and was secretary of the Tri-City Classic League for 58 years. He served as president of the Moline Bowling Association from 1955 to 1958, president of the Greater Davenport Bowling association in 1981, served on ABC National Board of Directors from 1982 to 2003. He was inducted into seven Bowling Hall of Fames.
Calvin was a member of the Bowling Writers Association of America, and wrote a weekly column for the Moline Dispatch and the Rock Island Argus. Calvin was an active member of the Silvis United Methodist Church and a Methodist lay preacher. He served as lay preacher, when needed, in many churches, for several years.
He is survived by his four children, Steve (Alma) Whitmore Albany, IL; Bruce (Deborah) Whitmore, Port Byron, IL; Barbara (Jerry) Bledsoe, Tucson, AZ; and Kevin (Peggy) Whitmore, Albuquerque, NM; 5 grandchildren and 7 great-grandchildren.
His parents and, his wife, Phyllis, whom he lost in January preceded him in death. Memorials can be made to the Silvis United Methodist Church.
Online condolences may be made at www.schrodermortuary.com.
Death date: Feb. 17, 2013
MOLINE, Ill. —
May 14, 1927 - Feb. 17, 2013
- Mildred Tripp CHADWICK, Ill. -- Mildred Tripp, 81, of Sterling, Ill., formerly of Chadwick, died Thursday at CGH Hospital in Sterling. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Hope United Methodist Church in Chadwick. Burial will be in the Chadwick Cem
- Deanna J. Wagoner Deanna J. Wagoner Oct. 13, 1943 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Deanna J. Wagoner, age 69, of Clinton, died Friday May 17, 2013 at Mercy North Medical Center. Cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held 7:00 p.m. Tuesday, May 21st, a
- Mary Jo Kinkaid Mary Jo Kinkaid July 26, 1940 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Mary Jo Kinkaid, 72, of Clinton, passed away, Friday, May 17, 2013 in the hospital due to complications from surgery. The family will greet friends Tuesday, May 21, 2013 from 3:00 to 5:30 p.m. a
- Kristin R. Phillips Kristin R. Phillips Aug. 29, 1957 - May 16, 2013 CLINTON -- Kristin R. Phillips, 55, of Clinton, IA, died Thursday, May 16, 2013, at her home. Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Monday, May 20, 2013 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral H
- Margaret 'Marge' Donnelly Margaret Donnelly May 4, 1929 - May 16, 2013 CLINTON -- Mrs. Margaret E. "Marge" Donnelly, 84, of Clinton, Iowa, formerly of DeWitt, Iowa, died Thursday morning, May 16, 2013 at Genesis Medical Center-East Campus, Davenport, Iowa. The family will rec
Barbara J. Determann
Barbara J. Determann, 52, passed away peacefully on Saturday, May 4, 2013 surrounded by family at Kaiser Permanente Hospital in San Francisco, CA.
- Durwin 'Dur' Kerry Wilhelm Durwin 'Dur' Kerry Wilhelm Sept. 5, 1953-May 14, 2013 PRESTON -- Durwin "Dur" Kerry Wilhelm, age 59, of Preston, Iowa, died on Tuesday, May 14, 2013, at home surrounded by his family. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, May 17, 2013, at
- Dwain Galloway Dwain Galloway June 30, 1942-May 14, 2013 GRAND MOUND -- Dwain Galloway, 70, of Grand Mound, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, May 14, 2013, at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City. The family will receive relatives and friends at Schultz Fu
- Garry L. Dithmart Clinton Garry L. Dithmart Garry L. Dithmart, 79, of Clinton, died Wednesday at his daughter's home in Clinton. Visitation will be from 3 to 6 p.m. Sunday at the Pape Funeral Home. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Monday at the funeral home. A complet
- Marcia L. Ortega MORRISON, Ill. — Marcia L. Ortega, 55, of Morrison, died Tuesday at her home. A memorial service will be held at 6 p.m. Friday at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home. There will be no visitation; the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renk
- More Obituaries Headlines