SAVANNA, Ill. —
May 6, 1924 - Aug. 16, 2012
Patrick James “P.J.” Broderick, 88, of Savanna, died on August 16, 2012, at Big Meadows Nursing Home.
He was born May 6, 1924, on a farm near Morrison, Illinois, to Frank and Maurece Broderick. Surviving are his wife of 63 years, Kathryn; and three children: James (Cheryl) of Gilman, Illinois, Thomas of Peoria, Illinois, and Mary (David) Broderick Krier of Minneapolis, Minnesota; and one grandson, Keith (Becca) Broderick of Moore, Oklahoma. Also surviving are his brother, Gene Broderick of Rock Falls, Illinois; and two sisters, Charlene (Ken) Gilbreath of Houston, Texas, and Dolores (Carl) Nelson of Sterling, Illinois.
P.J. served in the U.S. Army during World War II and was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. In 1958, he and his family moved to Woodland Township in Carroll County where he engaged in farming activities until 1995. While farming, he began several business ventures, first establishing a residential building company, Broderick Builders, and in 1970, the Thomson Development Corporation. In 1972, he became an investor in the Thomson State Bank, and served as a director for several years. He also owned and operated radio station WACI in Freeport, Illinois, from 1972 to 1982. P.J. was a true entrepreneur, and although he had little formal education, he offered his knowledge, experience, and business insights to those in the community who sought his advice.
P.J. was active in politics, and in 1977, he and several family members attended the inauguration of President Jimmy Carter. In 2009, he was honored by Carroll County Democrats for his lifetime commitment to the Democratic Party. P.J. was a member of Alcoholics Anonymous for over 55 years, establishing the Savanna A.A. group, speaking in neighboring communities in Illinois and Iowa, and directly assisting individuals and families struggling with this disease. His generosity to less fortunate people in need of financial and other services was well-known in the community.
In addition to being a member of St. John’s Catholic Church, P.J. worked to make Savanna a better community. He initiated a clean-up of the riverfront area, after which a street was dedicated and named in his family’s honor. He was involved in the creation of Rolling Hills, contributed to the local food bank, and helped preserve the history of Savanna by supporting the Savanna Historical Museum.
Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, August 22, 2012, at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna. A funeral Mass will be celebrated 10:30 a.m. Thursday, August 23, 2012, at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church with burial immediately following the service in St. John’s Catholic Cemetery. A memorial has been established for local charities in P.J.’s memory. Online condolences and tributes may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Death date: Aug. 16, 2012
SAVANNA, Ill. —
May 6, 1924 - Aug. 16, 2012
- Joan E. Turney Joan E. Turney Nov. 19, 1927 - May 19, 2013 MAQUOKETA -- Joan E. Turney, 85, of Maquoketa, Iowa, passed away at her home on Sunday, May 19, 2013, after a long battle with cancer. A celebration of Joan's life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, May 2
- JoAnn J. Bruhn WESTLAKE, Ohio -- JoAnn J. Bruhn (nee Birt), age 78, formerly of Clinton, beloved wife of Leonard, died. Dear mother of Alex (Julie) Bruhn and the late Kristine Bruhn (Brahim) Loving grandmother of Zachary, Noah, Dylan and Ian. Sister of Ronald Birt.
- Vernon Shimanek Maquoketa Vernon Shimanek Vernon Shimanek, 57, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Anne Petersen
- JoAnn Lichamer
- JoAnn J. Bruhn
- Donald D. Fair
- Mildred Tripp CHADWICK, Ill. -- Mildred Tripp, 81, of Sterling, Ill., formerly of Chadwick, died Thursday at CGH Hospital in Sterling. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Hope United Methodist Church in Chadwick. Burial will be in the Chadwick Cem
- Deanna J. Wagoner Deanna J. Wagoner Oct. 13, 1943 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Deanna J. Wagoner, age 69, of Clinton, died Friday May 17, 2013 at Mercy North Medical Center. Cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held 7:00 p.m. Tuesday, May 21st, a
- Mary Jo Kinkaid Mary Jo Kinkaid July 26, 1940 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Mary Jo Kinkaid, 72, of Clinton, passed away, Friday, May 17, 2013 in the hospital due to complications from surgery. The family will greet friends Tuesday, May 21, 2013 from 3:00 to 5:30 p.m. a
- More Obituaries Headlines