June 22, 1938 - July 4, 2012
James Richard Taplin, age 74, of rural Sabula, Iowa, died on July 4, 2012 at Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton.
A Funeral Service will be held at 10:30 a.m., Monday, July 9, 2012 at the Miller-Law-Jones Funeral Home, Preston, Iowa. Burial will take place in the Miles Cemetery, Miles, Iowa. A visitation will be held from 4:00-7:00 p.m., Sunday, July 8, 2012 at the Miller-Law-Jones Funeral Home, Preston. A memorial fund has been established in Jim’s memory. Online condolences may be shared with the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Jim was born on June 22, 1938, the son of Reno and Margaret (Klemme) Taplin in Clinton. He attended school at the Sterling Corners Country School, Sterling, Iowa. He later graduated from Miles High School with the Class of 1956. He married Ronda Flemming on May 27, 1961 at the Little Brown Church in the Vale, Nashua, Iowa.
After graduation, Jim worked for Dairy Pak in Clinton and then farmed the rest of his life on the family farm in rural Sabula. Farming was his passion and he believed in being a good steward of the land. Jim received a Soil Conservation award for implementing strip-cropping and building ponds to stop soil erosion. Jim was an avid Chicago Cubs and Iowa Hawkeye basketball fan.
He was a member of the board of directors for Miles Elderly Housing and of the Calvary Lutheran Church, Sabula. Most of all, Jim loved spending time with his family and friends.
Jim is survived by his wife, Ronda of rural Sabula; five children, Lori (Dave) Burkholder of Charlotte, Iowa, James A. Taplin of rural Sabula, Brent (Lacinda) Taplin of Marion, Iowa, Beth O’Brien of Bettendorf, Iowa and Chris (Kim) Taplin of Miles, Iowa; nine grandchildren; two step grandchildren; two sisters, Elaine (Larry) Mommsen of Bryant, Iowa and Mary (Dennis Burken) Corlis of Wilton, Wisconsin; and one brother, Keith (Jean) Coffman of South English, Iowa.
Jim was preceded in death by his parents and one half sister, Donna Hines of Mason City, Iowa.
Death date: July 4, 2012
June 22, 1938 - July 4, 2012
- Anne M. Petersen MORRISON, Ill. -- Anne M. Petersen, 77, of Morrison, died Saturday, at Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m Friday at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Morrison, with the Rev. Father William Antillon, pastor at St. M
- Loretta M. Sosnowski SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Loretta M. Sosnowski, age 97, passed away May 18, 2013. She is survived by her daughters: JoAnn Jones, of Springfield, MO, and Judy Greggar of Releigh, NC. She will be buried in Fulton, IL. Death date: May 18, 2013
- Mary C. Hicks Maquoketa Mary C. Hicks Mary C. Hicks, 79, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at her home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Joan E. Turney Joan E. Turney Nov. 19, 1927 - May 19, 2013 MAQUOKETA -- Joan E. Turney, 85, of Maquoketa, Iowa, passed away at her home on Sunday, May 19, 2013, after a long battle with cancer. A celebration of Joan's life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, May 2
- JoAnn J. Bruhn WESTLAKE, Ohio -- JoAnn J. Bruhn (nee Birt), age 78, formerly of Clinton, beloved wife of Leonard, died. Dear mother of Alex (Julie) Bruhn and the late Kristine Bruhn (Brahim) Loving grandmother of Zachary, Noah, Dylan and Ian. Sister of Ronald Birt.
- Vernon Shimanek Maquoketa Vernon Shimanek Vernon Shimanek, 57, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Anne Petersen
- JoAnn Lichamer
- JoAnn J. Bruhn
- Donald D. Fair
- More Obituaries Headlines