Dec. 10, 1933 - Aug. 29, 2012
Charles Ambrose Meyer, 78, of Camanche, Iowa, passed away on Wednesday, August 29, 2012.
Funeral services will be held at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, September 4, at Lemke Funeral Homes, South Chapel, west side of Clinton Lawn Cemetery. A visitation will be held 3 hours prior to the funeral service from 2 to 5 p.m. Tuesday, September 4, at Lemke Funeral Homes, South Chapel. Burial will be at a later date.
Charles was born December 10, 1933, in Bellevue, Iowa. He was one of five children born to Ambrose and Hilda (Peters) Meyer. Charles graduated in 1951 from Miles High School. Early in life Charles was active in farming. He was a member of the Baby Beef 4-H Club, showing Champion Herefords.
Charles served in the U.S. Army from 1955 to 1957. He served in Korea in 1957. After returning from service, he continued his love of farming with his father raising Hereford cattle and Hampshire hogs. He married Mary (Finch) Griebel on November 26, 1982, in Preston, Iowa.
Charles loved sports — volunteering for many years as a time keeper for the Miles High School basketball games. Above all he loved spending time with his family.
Charles is survived by his loving wife, Mary; one daughter, Beth Pobanz of Geneseo, IL; one granddaughter, Emily; one stepdaughter, Lyn (Patrick) Lamey of Suffolk, VA; three stepsons, Dan (Diane) Griebel of Camanche, IA, Richard (Judy) Griebel of Camanche, IA, Mark (Brenda) Griebel of Fulton, IL; eleven stepgrandchildren; several stepgreat-grandchildren; two sisters, Mary Ellen Greve of Bryant, IA, Jeanette (Don) Durkop of Lost Nation, IA; one brother, Wayne (Dora) Meyer of Maquoketa, IA; and several nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents, one sister and two brothers-in-law.
Memorials can be made to the family.
Online condolences can be left at www.lemkefuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Aug. 29, 2012
Dec. 10, 1933 - Aug. 29, 2012
- Gary S. Trodick
- Dean Brian Dahlin
- Robert D. Stone
- Bradley H. Giddings
- Marcella G. Johnson MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. -- Marcella G. Johnson, 80, of Mount Carroll, died Sunday, at her home. Memorial Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Saints John and Catherine Catholic Church in Mount Carroll, with the Rev. Father Dennis Atto, pastor o
- Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck July 12, 1918 - June 13, 2013 IOWA CITY -- Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck, 94, died June 13, 2013, at his granddaughter's home in Iowa City. He was born July 12, 1918, at his family home near Lost Nation, Iowa, to Edwin and Viola Rutenb
- Julie Ann Hutchins MERCED, Calif. -- Julie Ann Hutchins, 47, died Sunday at Hy-Lond Health Care Center in Merced after a brief illness. The family will receive relatives and friends at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. Funeral services will be hel
- Allan D. Rickertsen Clinton Allan D. Rickertsen Allan D. Rickertsen, 69, of Clinton, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center North. Arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Mildred L. Clapp Mildred L. Clapp March 22, 1920 - June 15, 2013 CLINTON -- Mildred L. Clapp, 93, of Clinton, and formerly of Toronto and Oxford Junction, died on Saturday morning at Bickford Cottage in Clinton, Iowa. Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, June
- Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich Dec. 27, 1932 - June 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich, 80, of Clinton, passed away, Monday, June 17, 2013 surrounded by his family at Select Specialty Hospital in Davenport. Private Family Services will be W
- More Obituaries Headlines