Rev. William D. King
Jan. 8, 1929-Oct. 9, 2012
CLINTON — Rev. William D. King, 83, of Clinton, died Tuesday, October 9, 2012, at Mercy Medical Center — North Campus, Clinton.
Memorial services will be 10:30 a.m. Monday, October 15, 2012, at Zion Lutheran Church, Clinton. Visitation will be Sunday from 2 to 5 p.m. at Zion. Burial will be at a later date near their lake cottage at the Hilltop Cemetery in Saxeville, Wisconsin. The Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory is in charge of arrangements. Online condolences may be expressed by visiting his obituary at www.snellzornig.com.
William David King was born on January 8, 1929, in Troy, New York, the only child of David and Caren (Schott) King. He graduated from high school at the Lansingburgh High School in 1947 in Troy. He entered Dana College in Blair, Nebraska, and graduated with a degree in social service in 1954.
Bill married Joyce Hayek on June 25, 1955, at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church in Hartland, Wisconsin. After graduating from Dana, he enrolled in Trinity Seminary at the same campus in Blair. He completed his internship at Bethany Lutheran Church in Portland, Oregon. He moved to Dubuque after the synod merger and graduated from Trinity Seminary located on the Wartburg campus in 1958.
In June of 1958, Bill was ordained in Blair, Nebraska, and installed as pastor of Bethesda Lutheran Church in Moorhead, Iowa. In the fall of 1961, Bill accepted the call to Chancy Lutheran Church in Clinton and served there until 1978. Feeling drawn to minister in a different direction, he became chaplain/assistant administrator at the Sarah Harding Home in Clinton until his retirement in 1993. While at Sarah Harding, he was able to do interim ministry and served at Lutheran Church of the Atonement in Clinton, Calvary Lutheran in Sabula, Iowa, and York Community Church in Thomson, Illinois.
Bill served on many boards and committees. He helped with the United Way, Congress of Racial Equality, Women’s Health Services and even the draft board at one time. He helped form the Clinton Ministerial Association, and was instrumental in creating the hospital chaplaincy corps, eventually securing a full-time Protestant chaplain at the former Jane Lamb Hospital (now Mercy Medical Center-South Campus). He was active in the Izaak Walton League and was the local president at one time. He is currently a member of Zion Lutheran Church, Clinton. He enjoyed spending time at his year-round cottage near Saxeville, Wisconsin.
Bill is survived by his wife of 57 years, Joyce, of Clinton; three daughters, Lisa (Steve) Clarke of Clinton, Jean (Bill) Herrstrom of Madrid, Iowa, and Beth (Steve) Coffey of Indianola, Iowa; five grandchildren: Sara Stiles (Abe Blair), Brent Stiles (Amanda Hedgepath), Emily Coffey, Abigail Coffey and Spencer Herrstrom; and one great-grandson, Chaz William Blair; and cousins, as well as extended Wisconsin relatives that he considered family.
He was preceded in death by his parents.
If you wish to leave a memorial, please designate the church or charity of your choice or the Izaak Walton League.
Death date: Oct. 9, 2012
Rev. William D. King
- Joan E. Turney Joan E. Turney Nov. 19, 1927 - May 19, 2013 MAQUOKETA -- Joan E. Turney, 85, of Maquoketa, Iowa, passed away at her home on Sunday, May 19, 2013, after a long battle with cancer. A celebration of Joan's life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, May 2
- JoAnn J. Bruhn WESTLAKE, Ohio -- JoAnn J. Bruhn (nee Birt), age 78, formerly of Clinton, beloved wife of Leonard, died. Dear mother of Alex (Julie) Bruhn and the late Kristine Bruhn (Brahim) Loving grandmother of Zachary, Noah, Dylan and Ian. Sister of Ronald Birt.
- Vernon Shimanek Maquoketa Vernon Shimanek Vernon Shimanek, 57, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Anne Petersen
- JoAnn Lichamer
- JoAnn J. Bruhn
- Donald D. Fair
- Mildred Tripp CHADWICK, Ill. -- Mildred Tripp, 81, of Sterling, Ill., formerly of Chadwick, died Thursday at CGH Hospital in Sterling. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Hope United Methodist Church in Chadwick. Burial will be in the Chadwick Cem
- Deanna J. Wagoner Deanna J. Wagoner Oct. 13, 1943 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Deanna J. Wagoner, age 69, of Clinton, died Friday May 17, 2013 at Mercy North Medical Center. Cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held 7:00 p.m. Tuesday, May 21st, a
- Mary Jo Kinkaid Mary Jo Kinkaid July 26, 1940 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Mary Jo Kinkaid, 72, of Clinton, passed away, Friday, May 17, 2013 in the hospital due to complications from surgery. The family will greet friends Tuesday, May 21, 2013 from 3:00 to 5:30 p.m. a
- More Obituaries Headlines