August 18, 1925 - October 22, 2012
John “Jack” Holst, 87, of DeWitt, died suddenly Monday morning, October 22, 2012, at Genesis Medical Center, DeWitt, Iowa.
Jack was born Tuesday, August 18, 1925, to Alvin and Anne (Mulvihill) Holst, in Marquette, Manitoba, Canada. Jack’s family returned to Iowa in October of 1925. The family then moved to the Welton area in 1936 where he graduated from high school in 1944 and farmed with his father. Jack was united in marriage to Arlene Schnoor on January 12, 1950, at St. Anthony’s Catholic Church in Davenport, Iowa. The couple farmed together in the Welton area for over 50 years until retiring to DeWitt. After retirement, Jack and Arlene were caretakers for the Clinton County 4-H grounds for 10 years.
Jack was a member of St. Anne’s Catholic Church in Welton, Iowa, for over 75 years. He was also a member of the Welton Volunteer Fire Department, serving as chief for several years, the Clinton County Farm Bureau where he served as township director, the Welton Lions and Clinton County Cattlemen’s Association. He was also a past 4-H leader. Jack enjoyed spending time with his family, collecting toy tractors, playing cards and camping.
In addition to his wife of 62 years, Arlene, Jack is survived by his children, DeAnn (David) King, Cedar Rapids, Dean (Lori) Holst, Dale (Annette) Holst, Donn (Nanette) Holst and David (Tina) Holst, all of DeWitt, Tom (Kim Dominato) Holst, Valrico, Florida, and Michelle (John) Rausenberger, of Clinton; 24 grandchildren and 29 great-grandchildren; a twin sister, Mary Darlene Ward, Center Junction, and sisters, Virginia (Ray) Carstensen, DeWitt, and Janet Schnack, Marion, and a brother, Eugene (Cyndy) Holst, Bettendorf; numerous other relatives.
Jack was preceded in death by an infant son, Dennis John Holst.
The family will greet relatives and friends from 3 p.m. until 8 p.m. on Thursday, October 25, 2012, at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, Iowa. A funeral Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Friday, October 26, 2012, at St. Joseph Catholic Church, DeWitt. The Reverend Father Paul Connolly will officiate. Burial will follow at St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery, DeWitt.
Condolences may be expressed and a photo tribute viewed at www.schultzfuneralhomes.com.
Death date: Oct. 22, 2012
August 18, 1925 - October 22, 2012
- Gary S. Trodick
- Dean Brian Dahlin
- Robert D. Stone
- Bradley H. Giddings
- Marcella G. Johnson MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. -- Marcella G. Johnson, 80, of Mount Carroll, died Sunday, at her home. Memorial Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Saints John and Catherine Catholic Church in Mount Carroll, with the Rev. Father Dennis Atto, pastor o
- Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck July 12, 1918 - June 13, 2013 IOWA CITY -- Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck, 94, died June 13, 2013, at his granddaughter's home in Iowa City. He was born July 12, 1918, at his family home near Lost Nation, Iowa, to Edwin and Viola Rutenb
- Julie Ann Hutchins MERCED, Calif. -- Julie Ann Hutchins, 47, died Sunday at Hy-Lond Health Care Center in Merced after a brief illness. The family will receive relatives and friends at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. Funeral services will be hel
- Allan D. Rickertsen Clinton Allan D. Rickertsen Allan D. Rickertsen, 69, of Clinton, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center North. Arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Mildred L. Clapp Mildred L. Clapp March 22, 1920 - June 15, 2013 CLINTON -- Mildred L. Clapp, 93, of Clinton, and formerly of Toronto and Oxford Junction, died on Saturday morning at Bickford Cottage in Clinton, Iowa. Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, June
- Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich Dec. 27, 1932 - June 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich, 80, of Clinton, passed away, Monday, June 17, 2013 surrounded by his family at Select Specialty Hospital in Davenport. Private Family Services will be W
- More Obituaries Headlines