March 3, 1927 - Nov. 1, 2012
James E. Legel, age 85, of Maquoketa, formerly of Clinton, passed away Thursday, November 1, 2012, at Crestridge Nursing Home in Maquoketa surrounded by family.
Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. on Monday, November 5, 2012, at the Pape Funeral Home. Visitation will be from 11 a.m. Monday until the service time. Burial will be in Center Grove Cemetery.
Jim was born in Clinton on March 3, 1927, the son of Elvie and Gertrude (Chesbro) Legel. He served with the U.S. Army in the European Theater during World War II. Jim married Francis Wilson in Clinton and had a son, James C. Legel. He later married Joan Hamstra on January 14, 1961, in Illinois. She preceded him in death. Jim had worked at the Curtis Company for 10 years and then at Clinton Corn Processing Company for 20 years. He enjoyed camping at Bulger’s Hollow, fishing with his son, Jim, and gardening and being outdoors on his acreage.
Jim is survived by a son, James (Connie) Legel of Savanna; a stepgrandson, Darren Moores of California; a sister, Beverly Nordt of Clinton; a brother, Henry “Hank” Legel of Fulton; three half sisters, Roxanne (Ron) Schultz of Sterling, Barb Spease of Jacksonville, Arkansas, and Jean Clark of Fulton; a half brother, Jerry Legel of Fulton; and a special niece, Rosie Bousman.
He was preceded in death by his parents; both wives; two brothers, Robert and Richard; and a stepbrother, Donald. Online condolences may be left at www.papefh.com.
Death date: Nov. 1, 2012
March 3, 1927 - Nov. 1, 2012
- Joan E. Turney Joan E. Turney Nov. 19, 1927 - May 19, 2013 MAQUOKETA -- Joan E. Turney, 85, of Maquoketa, Iowa, passed away at her home on Sunday, May 19, 2013, after a long battle with cancer. A celebration of Joan's life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, May 2
- JoAnn J. Bruhn WESTLAKE, Ohio -- JoAnn J. Bruhn (nee Birt), age 78, formerly of Clinton, beloved wife of Leonard, died. Dear mother of Alex (Julie) Bruhn and the late Kristine Bruhn (Brahim) Loving grandmother of Zachary, Noah, Dylan and Ian. Sister of Ronald Birt.
- Vernon Shimanek Maquoketa Vernon Shimanek Vernon Shimanek, 57, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Anne Petersen
- JoAnn Lichamer
- JoAnn J. Bruhn
- Donald D. Fair
- Mildred Tripp CHADWICK, Ill. -- Mildred Tripp, 81, of Sterling, Ill., formerly of Chadwick, died Thursday at CGH Hospital in Sterling. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Hope United Methodist Church in Chadwick. Burial will be in the Chadwick Cem
- Deanna J. Wagoner Deanna J. Wagoner Oct. 13, 1943 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Deanna J. Wagoner, age 69, of Clinton, died Friday May 17, 2013 at Mercy North Medical Center. Cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held 7:00 p.m. Tuesday, May 21st, a
- Mary Jo Kinkaid Mary Jo Kinkaid July 26, 1940 - May 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Mary Jo Kinkaid, 72, of Clinton, passed away, Friday, May 17, 2013 in the hospital due to complications from surgery. The family will greet friends Tuesday, May 21, 2013 from 3:00 to 5:30 p.m. a
- More Obituaries Headlines