Aug. 9, 1951 - Nov. 24, 2012
Melvin J. “Spike” Dirks, 61, of Miles, Iowa, died Saturday, November 24, 2012, at his home.
Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday, November 28, 2012, at Lahey Funeral Home in Maquoketa. Friends may call from 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Lahey Funeral Home in Maquoketa. Burial will be in the Salem Lutheran Cemetery, Spragueville, Iowa, with military honors.
Melvin John Dirks was born August 9, 1951, in Anamosa, Iowa, the son of Robert G. and Nita (Farrington) Dirks. He married Eleanor “Ellie” Jones on May 15, 1971, in Camanche, Iowa.
He was a veteran of the U.S. Army serving in Germany during the Vietnam War.
Spike worked for Miners & Beatrice Cheese in Preston until 1995.
He was a member of the Spragueville Lutheran Church, Spragueville, Iowa.
Survivors include his wife, Eleanor “Ellie” Dirks of Miles; one daughter, Melissa (Randy) Cutler of Maquoketa; one son, Michael Dirks of Charlotte; his mother, Nita Dirks of Maquoketa; 3 sisters, Susan Neunauber of Anamosa, Robin Gibson of Elwood and Royce (& Jr. Johnson) Dirks of Sabula; 4 brothers, Rick (Bev) Dirks of Lost Nation, Mark Dirks of Maquoketa, Walter Dirks of Rochester, Minnesota, and Matthew (Becky) Dirks of Maquoketa; and a sister-in-law, JoAnn Clark of Delmar.
He was preceded in death by his father; a granddaughter, Tricia; and one brother, Berdette.
Memorials are preferred.
Online condolences may be left for the family at www.laheys.com.
Death date: Nov. 24, 2012
Aug. 9, 1951 - Nov. 24, 2012
- Gary S. Trodick
- Dean Brian Dahlin
- Robert D. Stone
- Bradley H. Giddings
- Marcella G. Johnson MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. -- Marcella G. Johnson, 80, of Mount Carroll, died Sunday, at her home. Memorial Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Saints John and Catherine Catholic Church in Mount Carroll, with the Rev. Father Dennis Atto, pastor o
- Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck July 12, 1918 - June 13, 2013 IOWA CITY -- Ethan Edwin Rutenbeck, 94, died June 13, 2013, at his granddaughter's home in Iowa City. He was born July 12, 1918, at his family home near Lost Nation, Iowa, to Edwin and Viola Rutenb
- Julie Ann Hutchins MERCED, Calif. -- Julie Ann Hutchins, 47, died Sunday at Hy-Lond Health Care Center in Merced after a brief illness. The family will receive relatives and friends at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. Funeral services will be hel
- Allan D. Rickertsen Clinton Allan D. Rickertsen Allan D. Rickertsen, 69, of Clinton, died Monday at Mercy Medical Center North. Arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Mildred L. Clapp Mildred L. Clapp March 22, 1920 - June 15, 2013 CLINTON -- Mildred L. Clapp, 93, of Clinton, and formerly of Toronto and Oxford Junction, died on Saturday morning at Bickford Cottage in Clinton, Iowa. Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, June
- Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich Dec. 27, 1932 - June 17, 2013 CLINTON -- Maurice "Mike" J. Oestreich, 80, of Clinton, passed away, Monday, June 17, 2013 surrounded by his family at Select Specialty Hospital in Davenport. Private Family Services will be W
- More Obituaries Headlines