Ralph John Steines
March 27, 1924-Jan. 25, 2013
CALAMUS — Ralph John Steines, 88, of Calamus, Iowa, died Friday morning, January 25, 2013, at Wheatland Manor in Wheatland, Iowa.
He was born March 27, 1924, in Spragueville, Iowa, to William Lawrence and Lorena Marquerite (Schmidt) Steines. Ralph served in the United States Army during World War II. He farmed the family farm at rural Calamus for over 60 years. Ralph also drove school bus for Calamus Community Schools for 14 years.
He was a member of Saints Philip and James Catholic Church at Grand Mound, and was also a member of the Magnus M. Petersen American Legion Post #466, Calamus for nearly 50 years. Ralph loved the land that he farmed and animals that he cared for. He was an avid outdoorsman who greatly enjoyed hunting and fishing.
Surviving are brothers, Loren (Darlene) Steines of Alpha, Illinois, and William “Butch” Steines of Dixon, Iowa; sisters, Doris Ihrig of Maquoketa, Iowa, and Junice Nelson of Atlanta, Georgia; numerous nieces and nephews.
Preceding Ralph in death were his parents; brothers, Delbert, Eldred, LeRoy and Robert; and sisters, Thelma Elsner and Alice DeVoss.
The family will receive relatives and friends at Saints Philip and James Catholic Church, Grand Mound, from 10:30 a.m. until 12:45 p.m. Monday, January 28, 2013. The funeral liturgy will be held at 1 p.m. Monday in the church with the Reverend Father William Kneemiller presiding. Burial and military rites will follow at Rose Hill Cemetery, Calamus. Memorials are suggested to CALCO Hall Roof Fund.
Family members will serve as pallbearers.
Condolences may be expressed and a photo tribute viewed at www.schultzfuneralhomes.com.
Arrangements are in care of Schultz Funeral Home of Grand Mound.
Death date: Jan. 25, 2013
Ralph John Steines
Barbara J. Determann
Barbara J. Determann, 52, passed away peacefully on Saturday, May 4, 2013 surrounded by family at Kaiser Permanente Hospital in San Francisco, CA.
- Durwin 'Dur' Kerry Wilhelm Durwin 'Dur' Kerry Wilhelm Sept. 5, 1953-May 14, 2013 PRESTON -- Durwin "Dur" Kerry Wilhelm, age 59, of Preston, Iowa, died on Tuesday, May 14, 2013, at home surrounded by his family. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, May 17, 2013, at
- Dwain Galloway Dwain Galloway June 30, 1942-May 14, 2013 GRAND MOUND -- Dwain Galloway, 70, of Grand Mound, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, May 14, 2013, at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City. The family will receive relatives and friends at Schultz Fu
- Garry L. Dithmart Clinton Garry L. Dithmart Garry L. Dithmart, 79, of Clinton, died Wednesday at his daughter's home in Clinton. Visitation will be from 3 to 6 p.m. Sunday at the Pape Funeral Home. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Monday at the funeral home. A complet
- Marcia L. Ortega MORRISON, Ill. — Marcia L. Ortega, 55, of Morrison, died Tuesday at her home. A memorial service will be held at 6 p.m. Friday at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home. There will be no visitation; the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renk
- Dr. Mary J. Pettersen HAMMOND, Ind. -- Dr. Mary J. Pettersen, age 84, of Hammond, died Saturday. A celebration of her life will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Interment will be in Mount Hope Cemetery, Maquoketa. There wa
- Sheryl Kay Cotter Sheryl Kay Cotter September 24, 1943-May 14, 2013 CLINTON -- Sheryl Kay Cotter, 69, of Clinton, Iowa, lost her battle with cancer on Tuesday, May 14, 2013, at Mercy Living Center North, Clinton, with her husband at her side. Her funeral services will
- Ruth (Doonan) Bulfinch Ruth (Doonan) Bulfinch March 10, 1921-April 24, 2013 MESA, Ariz., MORRISON, Ill. -- Ruth (Doonan) Bulfinch, 92, of Mesa and formerly of Morrison, died April 24, 2013, in Mesa. Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Saturday, May 18, 2013, at the Morrison U
- Harold Galloway Grand Mound Harold Galloway Harold Galloway, 70, of Grand Mound, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City. Arrangements are pending with Schultz Funeral Homes.
- Durwin 'Dur' K. Wilhelm Preston Durwin 'Dur' K. Wilhelm Durwin "Dur" K. Wilhelm, 59, of Preston, died Tuesday at home. Funeral arrangements are pending with Law-Jones Funeral Home, Preston.
- More Obituaries Headlines
- Barbara J. Determann