April 3, 1916 - Feb. 24, 2013
Henry R. Pelham, 96, of DeWitt, died Sunday, February 24, 2013 at Grand Haven Retirement Community – Eldridge, Iowa.
Memorial Services will be 2:00 p.m., Friday, March 1, 2013 at the First Congregational United Church of Christ – DeWitt. Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory – Clinton, Iowa is in charge of arrangements.
Henry R. Pelham was born on April 3, 1916, at Malone, Iowa, the son of Jay and Leora Belle (Striley) Pelham. He was a graduate of DeWitt High School with the class of 1934.
He enlisted in the United States Navy and served from 1939-1945 during World War II in the Atlantic and Pacific. He ranked at Chief Fire Control Man at the time of discharge.
He married Helen Faye Benning in October 1957 in DeWitt; she died in 1970.
He lived and farmed the home farm from birth until retirement and moving to DeWitt in 1996.
He was a member of the Camanche Masonic Lodge #60, charter member of the Low Moor Lions Club and the DeWitt noon Lions Club, the Clinton Church of Christ, and Clinton Scottish Rite Bodies, and the Hardee’s 9AM Koffee Klatch group.
He is survived by nephews, nieces, and many cousins, all of whom have kept in contact with Henry. He loved to travel in his motorhome until his eyesight forced him to retire from this. He was a “fixer” who could fix or repair most anything that was fixable and helped many folks with their “problems.” He had a very sharp mind to the end of his life and loved to reminisce past activities. His memory of the six years he served in the Navy were very vivid.
He was preceded in death by his parents, his wife, half brothers Laverne and Earl Blinkinsop and half sister Gladys Blinkinsop Carnen.
Memorials can be made to First Congregational United Church of Christ – DeWitt.
Death date: Feb. 24, 2013
April 3, 1916 - Feb. 24, 2013
- Anne M. Petersen MORRISON, Ill. -- Anne M. Petersen, 77, of Morrison, died Saturday, at Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m Friday at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Morrison, with the Rev. Father William Antillon, pastor at St. M
- Loretta M. Sosnowski SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Loretta M. Sosnowski, age 97, passed away May 18, 2013. She is survived by her daughters: JoAnn Jones, of Springfield, MO, and Judy Greggar of Releigh, NC. She will be buried in Fulton, IL. Death date: May 18, 2013
- Mary C. Hicks Maquoketa Mary C. Hicks Mary C. Hicks, 79, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at her home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Joan E. Turney Joan E. Turney Nov. 19, 1927 - May 19, 2013 MAQUOKETA -- Joan E. Turney, 85, of Maquoketa, Iowa, passed away at her home on Sunday, May 19, 2013, after a long battle with cancer. A celebration of Joan's life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, May 2
- JoAnn J. Bruhn WESTLAKE, Ohio -- JoAnn J. Bruhn (nee Birt), age 78, formerly of Clinton, beloved wife of Leonard, died. Dear mother of Alex (Julie) Bruhn and the late Kristine Bruhn (Brahim) Loving grandmother of Zachary, Noah, Dylan and Ian. Sister of Ronald Birt.
- Vernon Shimanek Maquoketa Vernon Shimanek Vernon Shimanek, 57, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Anne Petersen
- JoAnn Lichamer
- JoAnn J. Bruhn
- Donald D. Fair
- More Obituaries Headlines