May 25, 1936 - Feb. 24, 2013
Howard E. Pray, age 76, of Bettendorf, passed away on Sunday, February 24, 2013 at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf.
Services to celebrate his life will be held at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, March 1, 2013 at Weerts Funeral Home, Kimberly and Jersey Ridge in Davenport. The family will greet friends from 4:00 – 8:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 28, 2013 at the funeral home. Burial will be in Dubuque Memorial Gardens. Memorials may be made to: Beacon of Hope Hospice, Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House, Kittan District Boy Scouts, or University of Iowa Children’s Hospital.
Howard was born May 25, 1936 in Clinton, Iowa to John and Gladys Pray. He graduated from Charlotte (IA) High School in 1955. Howard served as a paratrooper in the U.S. Army from 1955 until 1957. Howard worked as an industrial truck mechanic at Alcoa for over 33 years, retiring in 1993. On July 23, 1960, he was united in marriage to Judith A. Blok in Dubuque, Iowa.
Howard was involved in Boy Scouts for many years. He was active in Troop 82 in Bettendorf by participating in troop activities, attending summer camps, and venturing to the National Jamboree. Howard participated in many Boy Scout training sessions, traveled to Philmont Scout Ranch, and attended the World Scout Jamboree in Sydney, Australia in 1987. He served on the Eagle Scout Board of Review and as a staff member at Loud Thunder Boy Scout camp in the summers. In 1994, Howard received the Silver Beaver Award from the Illowa Council.
Howard had many interests. He loved spending time with his family and friends. Howard and his family enjoyed taking vacations and traveled to the Smoky Mountains, Ohio, Wisconsin, Hawaii, Canada, and Germany. Howard enjoyed collecting wood planes, A&W memorabilia, pedal tractors, and Allis Chalmers farm toys. He served in a variety of roles for the Atkinson Gas Engine Club and spent time collecting and restoring antique gas engines.
Survivors include his wife, Judith; daughters, Darcia (Kevin) Hall of Columbia, MO, and Heather (Kurt) Alexander of Bettendorf; a son, John (Teri) Pray of Moline, IL; grandchildren Alecia Alexander of Davenport, Patrick and Hannah Pray of Moline. A sister, Gloria (Keith) Lowry of Peoria, IL; and brothers, John Pray of Clinton, IA, and Robert Pray of Fayetteville, NC also survive.
Howard was preceded in death by his parents, his brother Richard, and an infant sister, Inez.
Online condolences may be expressed to Howard’s family by visiting his obituary at www.WeertsFH.com.
Death date: Feb. 24, 2013
May 25, 1936 - Feb. 24, 2013
- Anne M. Petersen MORRISON, Ill. -- Anne M. Petersen, 77, of Morrison, died Saturday, at Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m Friday at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Morrison, with the Rev. Father William Antillon, pastor at St. M
- Loretta M. Sosnowski SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Loretta M. Sosnowski, age 97, passed away May 18, 2013. She is survived by her daughters: JoAnn Jones, of Springfield, MO, and Judy Greggar of Releigh, NC. She will be buried in Fulton, IL. Death date: May 18, 2013
- Mary C. Hicks Maquoketa Mary C. Hicks Mary C. Hicks, 79, of Maquoketa, died Tuesday at her home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Joan E. Turney Joan E. Turney Nov. 19, 1927 - May 19, 2013 MAQUOKETA -- Joan E. Turney, 85, of Maquoketa, Iowa, passed away at her home on Sunday, May 19, 2013, after a long battle with cancer. A celebration of Joan's life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, May 2
- JoAnn J. Bruhn WESTLAKE, Ohio -- JoAnn J. Bruhn (nee Birt), age 78, formerly of Clinton, beloved wife of Leonard, died. Dear mother of Alex (Julie) Bruhn and the late Kristine Bruhn (Brahim) Loving grandmother of Zachary, Noah, Dylan and Ian. Sister of Ronald Birt.
- Vernon Shimanek Maquoketa Vernon Shimanek Vernon Shimanek, 57, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Anne Petersen
- JoAnn Lichamer
- JoAnn J. Bruhn
- Donald D. Fair
- More Obituaries Headlines